Jul 27, 2010, 12:48 PM EST
The sole purpose of this entry is to make you feel as old as I felt after Darren Rovell of CNBC tweeted that this month is the 17th anniversary of the baseball movie “Rookie of the Year.”
I was 10 years old when the movie came out and remember thinking it was a) one of the greatest films of all time, and b) probably retroactively based on a true story that would soon be happening to me.
Meanwhile, the “kid” who played Henry Rowengartner is 30 years old now, the insane person who played Chet Steadman is 66, and repeatedly breaking my arm never did help me get to the big leagues.
“Way to go, Runamucker!”
Note: This post was brought to you by the fading memories of my childhood.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 59
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)