Jul 27, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT
Jimmy Rollins is out of the Phillies’ lineup tonight after limping through yesterday’s game and while X-rays came back negative on his bruised foot David Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News reports that “someone who saw Jimmy Rollins today said he came in on crutches.”
On the other hand, Ryan Lawrence of the Delaware County Daily Times reported later that Rollins was “not on crutches” when he walked into the clubhouse. So … who knows.
It’s certainly possible he showed up to the ballpark on crutches and then ditched them before going in front of reporters, just as it’s possible doctors told him to use the crutches for a while even if the injury is relatively minor.
Either way, he has a foot injury and Wilson Valdez is starting at shortstop tonight.
UPDATE: Todd Zolecki of MLB.com chimes in: Jimmy Rollins is limping badly, but said he did not arrive to the ballpark on crutches. “Segway,” he said.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 46
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 78
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 51
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (95)