Jul 27, 2010, 4:15 PM EST
Jimmy Rollins is out of the Phillies’ lineup tonight after limping through yesterday’s game and while X-rays came back negative on his bruised foot David Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News reports that “someone who saw Jimmy Rollins today said he came in on crutches.”
On the other hand, Ryan Lawrence of the Delaware County Daily Times reported later that Rollins was “not on crutches” when he walked into the clubhouse. So … who knows.
It’s certainly possible he showed up to the ballpark on crutches and then ditched them before going in front of reporters, just as it’s possible doctors told him to use the crutches for a while even if the injury is relatively minor.
Either way, he has a foot injury and Wilson Valdez is starting at shortstop tonight.
UPDATE: Todd Zolecki of MLB.com chimes in: Jimmy Rollins is limping badly, but said he did not arrive to the ballpark on crutches. “Segway,” he said.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)