Jul 27, 2010, 10:46 AM EST
Indians manager Manny Acta made it clear yesterday that Kerry Wood will immediately reclaim ninth-inning when he returns from the disabled list, saying: “Whenever Kerry’s ready, he’ll close.”
Wood has been sidelined since July 12 with a blister on his right index finger and wasn’t any good before landing on the shelf, going 1-4 with a 6.30 ERA and three blown saves in 11 chances.
Presumably the Indians are still holding out some hope of trading Wood for minimal value (or monetary savings) before the July 31 deadline, although given his contract there’s little doubt that he’d clear waivers after July 31 and could then be moved any time until August 31.
Wood is in the second season of a two-year, $20.5 million deal and the contract also includes a sure-to-be-declined $11 million team option for 2011.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (123)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)