Jul 27, 2010, 12:56 PM EST
And Roger Maris no longer owns the RBI crown for 1961 by himself either. He’s tied with Jim Gentile.
Confused? You won’t be when you read the note by Lyle Spatz of the Society for American Baseball Research’s Records Committee. It’s linked over at Baseball-Reference.com today, and it corrects scoring errors that occurred during the 1961 season that incorrectly credited Maris with an RBI and Mantle with a run.
The biggest takeaway for me: reading the note’s account of the play on which Maris was wrongly-credited with an RBI. Dropped ball led to the base runner reaching on a strikeout, and then a bad throwing decision followed by a ball being airmailed into the stands behind first led to the run scoring.
I don’t say this just on the power of that play, but I gotta tell ya: if we had video of every game from back in the day, we wouldn’t be calling it the Golden Age. We’d be calling it “The way more out-of-shape, slow and fundamentally un-sound than we ever could imagine” age.
Anyway, it’s unclear if these changes will go in baseball’s official record book (whatever that is). But they will be made at Baseball-Reference, and as far as I’m concerned that’s the word of God when it comes to these things.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 38
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)