Jul 27, 2010, 12:56 PM EDT
And Roger Maris no longer owns the RBI crown for 1961 by himself either. He’s tied with Jim Gentile.
Confused? You won’t be when you read the note by Lyle Spatz of the Society for American Baseball Research’s Records Committee. It’s linked over at Baseball-Reference.com today, and it corrects scoring errors that occurred during the 1961 season that incorrectly credited Maris with an RBI and Mantle with a run.
The biggest takeaway for me: reading the note’s account of the play on which Maris was wrongly-credited with an RBI. Dropped ball led to the base runner reaching on a strikeout, and then a bad throwing decision followed by a ball being airmailed into the stands behind first led to the run scoring.
I don’t say this just on the power of that play, but I gotta tell ya: if we had video of every game from back in the day, we wouldn’t be calling it the Golden Age. We’d be calling it “The way more out-of-shape, slow and fundamentally un-sound than we ever could imagine” age.
Anyway, it’s unclear if these changes will go in baseball’s official record book (whatever that is). But they will be made at Baseball-Reference, and as far as I’m concerned that’s the word of God when it comes to these things.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)