Jul 27, 2010, 12:56 PM EDT
And Roger Maris no longer owns the RBI crown for 1961 by himself either. He’s tied with Jim Gentile.
Confused? You won’t be when you read the note by Lyle Spatz of the Society for American Baseball Research’s Records Committee. It’s linked over at Baseball-Reference.com today, and it corrects scoring errors that occurred during the 1961 season that incorrectly credited Maris with an RBI and Mantle with a run.
The biggest takeaway for me: reading the note’s account of the play on which Maris was wrongly-credited with an RBI. Dropped ball led to the base runner reaching on a strikeout, and then a bad throwing decision followed by a ball being airmailed into the stands behind first led to the run scoring.
I don’t say this just on the power of that play, but I gotta tell ya: if we had video of every game from back in the day, we wouldn’t be calling it the Golden Age. We’d be calling it “The way more out-of-shape, slow and fundamentally un-sound than we ever could imagine” age.
Anyway, it’s unclear if these changes will go in baseball’s official record book (whatever that is). But they will be made at Baseball-Reference, and as far as I’m concerned that’s the word of God when it comes to these things.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)