Jul 27, 2010, 12:56 PM EDT
And Roger Maris no longer owns the RBI crown for 1961 by himself either. He’s tied with Jim Gentile.
Confused? You won’t be when you read the note by Lyle Spatz of the Society for American Baseball Research’s Records Committee. It’s linked over at Baseball-Reference.com today, and it corrects scoring errors that occurred during the 1961 season that incorrectly credited Maris with an RBI and Mantle with a run.
The biggest takeaway for me: reading the note’s account of the play on which Maris was wrongly-credited with an RBI. Dropped ball led to the base runner reaching on a strikeout, and then a bad throwing decision followed by a ball being airmailed into the stands behind first led to the run scoring.
I don’t say this just on the power of that play, but I gotta tell ya: if we had video of every game from back in the day, we wouldn’t be calling it the Golden Age. We’d be calling it “The way more out-of-shape, slow and fundamentally un-sound than we ever could imagine” age.
Anyway, it’s unclear if these changes will go in baseball’s official record book (whatever that is). But they will be made at Baseball-Reference, and as far as I’m concerned that’s the word of God when it comes to these things.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 3
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 1
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)