Jul 27, 2010, 12:56 PM EDT
And Roger Maris no longer owns the RBI crown for 1961 by himself either. He’s tied with Jim Gentile.
Confused? You won’t be when you read the note by Lyle Spatz of the Society for American Baseball Research’s Records Committee. It’s linked over at Baseball-Reference.com today, and it corrects scoring errors that occurred during the 1961 season that incorrectly credited Maris with an RBI and Mantle with a run.
The biggest takeaway for me: reading the note’s account of the play on which Maris was wrongly-credited with an RBI. Dropped ball led to the base runner reaching on a strikeout, and then a bad throwing decision followed by a ball being airmailed into the stands behind first led to the run scoring.
I don’t say this just on the power of that play, but I gotta tell ya: if we had video of every game from back in the day, we wouldn’t be calling it the Golden Age. We’d be calling it “The way more out-of-shape, slow and fundamentally un-sound than we ever could imagine” age.
Anyway, it’s unclear if these changes will go in baseball’s official record book (whatever that is). But they will be made at Baseball-Reference, and as far as I’m concerned that’s the word of God when it comes to these things.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 115
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)