Jul 27, 2010, 6:10 PM EST
A source told ESPNChicago’s Bruce Levine that the Nationals appear willing to move Adam Dunn if the White Sox are willing to part with a second quality prospect from a group of Tyler Flowers, Jordan Danks and Brett Morel, along with young right-hander Daniel Hudson.
The same source also told Levine that the White Sox rejected the Nationals’ proposal of a Dunn-for-Gordon Beckham swap.
Turning down the Beckham deal was likely a no-brainer for White Sox GM Ken Williams, but he has more to think about here. It’s believed he’s willing to trade Hudson in a deal for Dunn. The second quality prospect could be a sticking point, but if the White Sox are willing to accept Morel, rather than Flowers or Danks, then a deal could work for both parties.
Morel, 23, has hit .303/.348/.421 with five homers and 48 RBI in 363 at-bats between Double- and Triple-A this year. He’s a solid defensive third baseman, but he obviously wouldn’t move Ryan Zimmerman off the hot corner in Washington. He’d probably end up in in the outfield if dealt to the Nationals. His line-drive stroke should turn him into an average regular in time.
Flowers and Danks both have a bit more upside. While he’s right-handed, Flowers is a Dunn-type hitter, with few singles but plenty of homers, walks and strikeouts. He’s also improved defensively behind the plate, though he still might end up at first base for the long haul. Danks, John’s younger brother, has been pushed too aggressively by the White Sox and is hitting just .243/.314/.377 with 112 strikeouts in Triple-A this year. He’s a terrific athlete, though, and he has a chance to blossom into a 20-homer-per-year center fielder.
We heard earlier today that the Nationals have yet to extend Dunn a contract offer with free agency looming. A trade is becoming more likely by the day.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (135)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)