Jul 27, 2010, 6:10 PM EDT
A source told ESPNChicago’s Bruce Levine that the Nationals appear willing to move Adam Dunn if the White Sox are willing to part with a second quality prospect from a group of Tyler Flowers, Jordan Danks and Brett Morel, along with young right-hander Daniel Hudson.
The same source also told Levine that the White Sox rejected the Nationals’ proposal of a Dunn-for-Gordon Beckham swap.
Turning down the Beckham deal was likely a no-brainer for White Sox GM Ken Williams, but he has more to think about here. It’s believed he’s willing to trade Hudson in a deal for Dunn. The second quality prospect could be a sticking point, but if the White Sox are willing to accept Morel, rather than Flowers or Danks, then a deal could work for both parties.
Morel, 23, has hit .303/.348/.421 with five homers and 48 RBI in 363 at-bats between Double- and Triple-A this year. He’s a solid defensive third baseman, but he obviously wouldn’t move Ryan Zimmerman off the hot corner in Washington. He’d probably end up in in the outfield if dealt to the Nationals. His line-drive stroke should turn him into an average regular in time.
Flowers and Danks both have a bit more upside. While he’s right-handed, Flowers is a Dunn-type hitter, with few singles but plenty of homers, walks and strikeouts. He’s also improved defensively behind the plate, though he still might end up at first base for the long haul. Danks, John’s younger brother, has been pushed too aggressively by the White Sox and is hitting just .243/.314/.377 with 112 strikeouts in Triple-A this year. He’s a terrific athlete, though, and he has a chance to blossom into a 20-homer-per-year center fielder.
We heard earlier today that the Nationals have yet to extend Dunn a contract offer with free agency looming. A trade is becoming more likely by the day.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 315
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 55
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 39
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (328)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (159)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)