Jul 27, 2010, 11:02 AM EDT
Remember kids, you can’t spell “gubernatorial” without “guber!”
Former U.S. Sen. Lincoln Chafee is questioning whether
Boston Red Soxgreat Curt Schilling faked his bloody sock in Game 6 of the 2004 AL championship series . . . Chafee said he doesn’t know if he trusts Schilling, and incorrectly said
Schilling’s own teammates questioned whether Schilling faked his bloody
The background here is that Schilling’s video game company just got a $75 million loan guarantee from a State of Rhode Island development fund and Chafee is questioning it. Such loan guarantees may or may not be bad policy, but going after Red Sox World Series heroes when you’re running for office in New England is unquestionably bad politics.
Personally speaking I think Schilling would have to be about 10,000 times the self-promoter he usually shows at his worst moments to have actually faked the bloody sock. I don’t think anyone is that pathological, and despite some random whispers about it here or there I’m simply not buying the conspiracy theories. It’s been nearly six years. If someone had any real dirt on that, they would have said so already.
But hey, it’s modern politics. Maybe Chafee has done some serious polling regarding how attacking Schilling plays. If so, and if it works out for him, it may open up a whole new world for baseball-related political consulting. I could probably make a fortune doing that.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 20
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)