Jul 27, 2010, 11:02 AM EST
Remember kids, you can’t spell “gubernatorial” without “guber!”
Former U.S. Sen. Lincoln Chafee is questioning whether
Boston Red Soxgreat Curt Schilling faked his bloody sock in Game 6 of the 2004 AL championship series . . . Chafee said he doesn’t know if he trusts Schilling, and incorrectly said
Schilling’s own teammates questioned whether Schilling faked his bloody
The background here is that Schilling’s video game company just got a $75 million loan guarantee from a State of Rhode Island development fund and Chafee is questioning it. Such loan guarantees may or may not be bad policy, but going after Red Sox World Series heroes when you’re running for office in New England is unquestionably bad politics.
Personally speaking I think Schilling would have to be about 10,000 times the self-promoter he usually shows at his worst moments to have actually faked the bloody sock. I don’t think anyone is that pathological, and despite some random whispers about it here or there I’m simply not buying the conspiracy theories. It’s been nearly six years. If someone had any real dirt on that, they would have said so already.
But hey, it’s modern politics. Maybe Chafee has done some serious polling regarding how attacking Schilling plays. If so, and if it works out for him, it may open up a whole new world for baseball-related political consulting. I could probably make a fortune doing that.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 65
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (227)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)