Jul 27, 2010, 11:02 AM EDT
Remember kids, you can’t spell “gubernatorial” without “guber!”
Former U.S. Sen. Lincoln Chafee is questioning whether
Boston Red Soxgreat Curt Schilling faked his bloody sock in Game 6 of the 2004 AL championship series . . . Chafee said he doesn’t know if he trusts Schilling, and incorrectly said
Schilling’s own teammates questioned whether Schilling faked his bloody
The background here is that Schilling’s video game company just got a $75 million loan guarantee from a State of Rhode Island development fund and Chafee is questioning it. Such loan guarantees may or may not be bad policy, but going after Red Sox World Series heroes when you’re running for office in New England is unquestionably bad politics.
Personally speaking I think Schilling would have to be about 10,000 times the self-promoter he usually shows at his worst moments to have actually faked the bloody sock. I don’t think anyone is that pathological, and despite some random whispers about it here or there I’m simply not buying the conspiracy theories. It’s been nearly six years. If someone had any real dirt on that, they would have said so already.
But hey, it’s modern politics. Maybe Chafee has done some serious polling regarding how attacking Schilling plays. If so, and if it works out for him, it may open up a whole new world for baseball-related political consulting. I could probably make a fortune doing that.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)