Jul 27, 2010, 1:47 PM EST
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that A’s setup man Michael Wuertz is on the Red Sox’s “wish list” as they search for bullpen help.
Wuertz has been a shutdown late-inning option in the past, going 6-1 with a 2.63 ERA, .188 opponents’ batting average, and 102 strikeouts in 79 innings last season, but also has a history of arm problems and hasn’t pitched particularly well with a 4.50 ERA and 18/10 K/BB ratio in 22 innings this year.
Plus, with the A’s winning nine of their last 11 games to climb above .500 and move into a tie with the Angels for second place in the AL West they may not be looking to trade veterans as much as they were a few weeks ago.
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 0
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 338
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (338)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)