Jul 27, 2010, 1:47 PM EDT
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that A’s setup man Michael Wuertz is on the Red Sox’s “wish list” as they search for bullpen help.
Wuertz has been a shutdown late-inning option in the past, going 6-1 with a 2.63 ERA, .188 opponents’ batting average, and 102 strikeouts in 79 innings last season, but also has a history of arm problems and hasn’t pitched particularly well with a 4.50 ERA and 18/10 K/BB ratio in 22 innings this year.
Plus, with the A’s winning nine of their last 11 games to climb above .500 and move into a tie with the Angels for second place in the AL West they may not be looking to trade veterans as much as they were a few weeks ago.
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 129
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (134)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (101)