Jul 27, 2010, 12:14 PM EDT
Tim Kurkjian of ESPN.com reports that the Twins are interested in Nationals closer Matt Capps, which along with yesterday’s report that they’re talking to the Blue Jays about various relievers makes it pretty clear that Minnesota is in the market for bullpen help.
It’s tough to find anyone who has any sort of confidence in Jon Rauch as a closer, but he’s actually done a very good job filling in for the injured Joe Nathan by converting 20-of-24 saves with a 3.22 ERA and 26/9 K/BB ratio in 36.1 innings.
Capps has a longer history of closing and I’m sure that’s what the Twins find appealing about him, but he’s hardly a prototypical flame-throwing closer and hasn’t really been any better than Rauch with a 2.86 ERA and 36/9 K/BB ratio in 44 innings.
Beyond that the Twins’ bullpen as a whole has hardly been a problem this year. In fact, Twins relievers lead the league with a 3.17 ERA and haven’t been particularly overworked, ranking in the middle of the pack in innings and appearances.
Capps certainly wouldn’t be a bad addition and pushing Rauch back into a setup role would only make the overall bullpen stronger, but Kurkjian speculates that the Nationals will ask the Twins for top catching prospect Wilson Ramos in exchange for Capps and … well, that would just be silly.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 1
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 36
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 26
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 60
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)