Jul 27, 2010, 12:14 PM EST
Tim Kurkjian of ESPN.com reports that the Twins are interested in Nationals closer Matt Capps, which along with yesterday’s report that they’re talking to the Blue Jays about various relievers makes it pretty clear that Minnesota is in the market for bullpen help.
It’s tough to find anyone who has any sort of confidence in Jon Rauch as a closer, but he’s actually done a very good job filling in for the injured Joe Nathan by converting 20-of-24 saves with a 3.22 ERA and 26/9 K/BB ratio in 36.1 innings.
Capps has a longer history of closing and I’m sure that’s what the Twins find appealing about him, but he’s hardly a prototypical flame-throwing closer and hasn’t really been any better than Rauch with a 2.86 ERA and 36/9 K/BB ratio in 44 innings.
Beyond that the Twins’ bullpen as a whole has hardly been a problem this year. In fact, Twins relievers lead the league with a 3.17 ERA and haven’t been particularly overworked, ranking in the middle of the pack in innings and appearances.
Capps certainly wouldn’t be a bad addition and pushing Rauch back into a setup role would only make the overall bullpen stronger, but Kurkjian speculates that the Nationals will ask the Twins for top catching prospect Wilson Ramos in exchange for Capps and … well, that would just be silly.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 27
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 29
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)