Jul 27, 2010, 9:59 PM EDT
UPDATE: Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said that an MRI and X-ray on Stephen Strasburg showed only inflammation in his right shoulder and no structural damage, reports Ben Goessling of MASNSports.com. He is currently listed as day-to-day.
7:34 PM: According to Mark Zuckerman of Nats Insider, Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo made the decision to pull the plug after Stephen Strasburg was having trouble getting loose.
The Nats are calling it precautionary, however Strasburg is scheduled to undergo an MRI and an X-ray, just to cover all the necessary bases. Whatever your team affiliation, let’s hope it’s nothing.
7:07 PM: According to Ben Goessling of MASNSports.com, Stephen Strasburg has been scratched from Tuesday’s start against the Braves. The reason why isn’t immediately clear.
For those without the benefit of the MASN feed, Strasburg was warming up in front of Nationals pitching coach Steve McCatty before the game and it was pretty clear something just wasn’t right. Ivan Rodriguez could be seen consoling Strasburg before he left the bullpen mound. Miguel Batista came out to start Tuesday’s game, instead.
It’s disappointing for those who wanted to see Strasburg face Jason Heyward, but the Nationals aren’t going to gamble on the future of their franchise, not when they are 15 1/2 games out of first place in the National League East. We’ll pass along further information when it is made available.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 12
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 3
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games