Jul 27, 2010, 10:00 AM EST
We knew that the Rangers were interested in Oswalt, but we didn’t realize he was this interested: according to Ken Rosenthal, the Rangers re-visited earlier talks with the Astros regarding Roy Oswalt after acquiring Cliff Lee.
There was no way it was going to happen — it was hard enough for them to take on the relatively minor money owed Lee, so putting Oswalt’s contract on top of that was a non-starter — but they pursued it anyway, Rosenthal says.
Animating the apparently hopeless pursuit of Oswalt? Nolan Ryan is simply fixated on the guy. That’s what a little bird told me anyway. Ryan sees a lot of himself in Oswalt, both as a pitcher and as a guy in general, and has long wanted Oswalt to play for him. Crushes die hard, ya know?
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 14
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 82
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)