Jul 27, 2010, 2:06 PM EDT
Back in February the White Sox and Frank Thomas began a nice reproachment when it was announced that the team would be retiring his number. That’s going to happen on August 29th.
Today they’ve added that Thomas will officially become a team “ambassador” which, while mostly a PR position, represents a nice coming together of baseball’s most inexplicably underrated hitter of all time and the club where he spent most of his productive years.
I like this, not because I care that much about the White Sox or Frank Thomas’ career path, but because I’m really worried — as was Aaron back in February — that the writers are going to unfairly discount Frank Thomas’ massive accomplishments as a hitter when he comes up for a Hall of Fame vote in a few years. They’ll dismiss him because he was a DH. They may also dismiss him because they decided at some point that he was surly and difficult, though they’ll probably not say that out loud.
The way I see it, the more closely he works with the White Sox, the less likely it will be that people will think “bad attitude” when they think of Frank Thomas, and that can only be a good thing for his Hall of Fame case.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)