Jul 27, 2010, 2:06 PM EDT
Back in February the White Sox and Frank Thomas began a nice reproachment when it was announced that the team would be retiring his number. That’s going to happen on August 29th.
Today they’ve added that Thomas will officially become a team “ambassador” which, while mostly a PR position, represents a nice coming together of baseball’s most inexplicably underrated hitter of all time and the club where he spent most of his productive years.
I like this, not because I care that much about the White Sox or Frank Thomas’ career path, but because I’m really worried — as was Aaron back in February — that the writers are going to unfairly discount Frank Thomas’ massive accomplishments as a hitter when he comes up for a Hall of Fame vote in a few years. They’ll dismiss him because he was a DH. They may also dismiss him because they decided at some point that he was surly and difficult, though they’ll probably not say that out loud.
The way I see it, the more closely he works with the White Sox, the less likely it will be that people will think “bad attitude” when they think of Frank Thomas, and that can only be a good thing for his Hall of Fame case.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)