Jul 27, 2010, 2:58 PM EDT
We’ve heard this and that about the Yankees wanting to trade for Royals’ closer Joakim Soria. That seemed like a tall order anyway given how much he’d cost the Yankees, but here’s an even better reason why it isn’t going to happen: the Yankees are one of the six teams on Soria’s no-trade list.
That report comes courtesy of Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York. Marchand says that doesn’t mean a trade couldn’t happen — the Yankees would just have to find some way to persuade Soria to drop his objection to coming to New York. This seems silly to me, however.
Why do you think Soria has a no-trade clause that includes the Yankees? My guess: because the Yankees have the best closer in baseball history playing for them and he’s showing no signs of slowing down. A ticket to New York for Soria or any other closer means a ticket to middle relief — the term “setup man” is nice, but it’s still middle relief — and if you’re a reliever who isn’t getting saves, you’re a reliever who isn’t going to get the money and the glory and the chicks and all that stuff.
If I were a closer the last place I’d want to go is New York. It’s the one place where you got no chance whatsoever.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)