Voting changes could put Steinbrenner in Cooperstown in 2011

Jul 27, 2010, 11:29 AM EDT

The Hall of Fame Veteran’s Committee used to consider managers, umpires, executives and long-retired players every couple of years in one big lump.  Yesterday they decided to break their consideration up by era, and stagger the voting year-by-year.  The categories: Pre-Integration Era (1871-1946), the Golden Era (1947-1972) and the Expansion Era (starting in 1973). I’ll save my rant about the so-called “Golden Era” for another time.

Voting on the Expansion Era will take place down at the Winter Meetings this December. That means that George Strinbrenner is up for consideration.  My guess is that he’ll get in. My guess is also that they started with the Expansion Era — rather than doing it chronologically — for the express purpose of getting Steinbrenner in on the first ballot after his death.

Is Steinbrenner Hall of Fame worthy? Unless you have a rule against all owners going in on general principle he’s a no-brainer in my book.  How about yours?

1. HP3 - Jul 27, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Why would Steinbrenner get in almost immediately and why would Walter O’Malley have to wait almost thirty years?
    Why would any owner go in before Marvin Miller?
    Just wondering…..

2. BC - Jul 27, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Total agreement. Miller should have been in a long time ago. And I wouldn’t be surprised if Steinbrenner does not get in. I think he and Miller both should, but I don’t believe The Boss is a lock.

3. The Common Man - Jul 27, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Golden era, huh? Nice public relations move. Sorry, guys, baseball today can’t compare to what it was in the ’50s and ’60s. Might as well pack it up and move on. Nothing to see here. And didn’t baseball expand in ’62 as well. I hate the Veterans Committee. Bunch of fools and know-nothings (and I’m looking right at you, Joe Morgan).

4. YankeesfanLen - Jul 27, 2010 at 12:25 PM

I’ll excuse myself from this vote due to conflict of interest.
    Call a special meeting and vote him in NOW!

5. Old Gator - Jul 27, 2010 at 12:27 PM

I agree about the Veteran’s Committee. Any bunch of cretins cruel and stupid enough to fail to elect Buck O’Neil to the Hall deserve not only to be barred from voting again, but should also be sterilized to prevent any further leakage of chromosomes for such acute stupidity from contaminating a gene pool that is already in enough trouble.

6. Fernando - Jul 27, 2010 at 12:31 PM

There are more executives/front office people on the committee than former players, which explains why Miller has not been voted in. That’s clearly the players fault for not pushing for more reps, but even then the players on the committee didn’t benefit from Miller so they aren’t likely to appreciate what he did for players.
    As for O’Malley, he did move the team out West. I am sure that played a part in him getting snubbed.

7. SDelMonte - Jul 27, 2010 at 12:35 PM

I think that his suspension from baseball in the Howie Spira case is enough to remove him for consideration.
    I am also not in love with putting owners in the HoF. And I don’t like changing the rules to accommodate one man’s ballot. (In retrospect, I don’t know how fair it was to do that even for Clemente, as worthy as he was.)

8. bigtrav425 - Jul 27, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Id say No just for the fact that He himself has almost single handily ruined baseball with his outlandish spending and more or less Buying World Series Rings

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate