Jul 27, 2010, 1:13 PM EDT
After a brief rest/demotion following a pair of ugly outings last week, Bobby Jenks is back to closing for the White Sox.
Here’s how manager Ozzie Guillen explained the situation:
I never took the job away from Jenks. I never did. I just said I want Jenks to throw the ball better and we will put him in a position to get back on track to see what he is. I keep saying this. We’re a good ball club. We’re a better ball club if Bobby is our closer because that makes a lot of things easier for us. He threw the ball better, yes he did. The sooner I see Bobby back on track, he will be back to what he does. I won’t hesitate. I will do it right away if we like the way he throws the ball. He will be back to his job.
Jenks has pitched just once since blowing a save against the Mariners last week, so it seems pretty clear that Guillen is telling the truth when he says it was never truly a demotion. He’s stuck with Jenks through plenty of rough patches, and while his ERA is a career-worst 4.95 right now he’s only blown two official saves in 22 chances.
Jenks is obviously no longer an elite closer, but using him strictly in the ninth inning does allow Guillen to mix and match the White Sox’s best relievers, Matt Thornton and J.J. Putz, more fluidly in setup roles.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)