Jul 27, 2010, 1:13 PM EDT
After a brief rest/demotion following a pair of ugly outings last week, Bobby Jenks is back to closing for the White Sox.
Here’s how manager Ozzie Guillen explained the situation:
I never took the job away from Jenks. I never did. I just said I want Jenks to throw the ball better and we will put him in a position to get back on track to see what he is. I keep saying this. We’re a good ball club. We’re a better ball club if Bobby is our closer because that makes a lot of things easier for us. He threw the ball better, yes he did. The sooner I see Bobby back on track, he will be back to what he does. I won’t hesitate. I will do it right away if we like the way he throws the ball. He will be back to his job.
Jenks has pitched just once since blowing a save against the Mariners last week, so it seems pretty clear that Guillen is telling the truth when he says it was never truly a demotion. He’s stuck with Jenks through plenty of rough patches, and while his ERA is a career-worst 4.95 right now he’s only blown two official saves in 22 chances.
Jenks is obviously no longer an elite closer, but using him strictly in the ninth inning does allow Guillen to mix and match the White Sox’s best relievers, Matt Thornton and J.J. Putz, more fluidly in setup roles.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (187)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)