Jul 27, 2010, 1:13 PM EST
After a brief rest/demotion following a pair of ugly outings last week, Bobby Jenks is back to closing for the White Sox.
Here’s how manager Ozzie Guillen explained the situation:
I never took the job away from Jenks. I never did. I just said I want Jenks to throw the ball better and we will put him in a position to get back on track to see what he is. I keep saying this. We’re a good ball club. We’re a better ball club if Bobby is our closer because that makes a lot of things easier for us. He threw the ball better, yes he did. The sooner I see Bobby back on track, he will be back to what he does. I won’t hesitate. I will do it right away if we like the way he throws the ball. He will be back to his job.
Jenks has pitched just once since blowing a save against the Mariners last week, so it seems pretty clear that Guillen is telling the truth when he says it was never truly a demotion. He’s stuck with Jenks through plenty of rough patches, and while his ERA is a career-worst 4.95 right now he’s only blown two official saves in 22 chances.
Jenks is obviously no longer an elite closer, but using him strictly in the ninth inning does allow Guillen to mix and match the White Sox’s best relievers, Matt Thornton and J.J. Putz, more fluidly in setup roles.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)