Jul 28, 2010, 5:18 PM EDT
Last night Ryan Rowland-Smith became the eighth pitcher to allow double-digit earned runs in a game this season, coughing up 11 runs in a blowout loss to the White Sox.
Rowland-Smith was down 4-0 after one inning, 7-0 after two innings, and 8-0 after three innings, yet the Mariners left him out there to complete five frames in an effort to save the bullpen. And now Rowland-Smith has been placed on the disabled list with a “lower back strain.”
After the ugly outing manager Don Wakamatsu said he’d have to talk to general manager Jack Zduriencik to “make a decision” regarding Rowland-Smith’s future, because at 1-10 with a 6.96 ERA he certainly didn’t deserve to remain in the Mariners’ rotation and the 27-year-old left-hander is out of minor-league options.
Sending him to the DL is a way to avoid potentially losing him on waivers, at least temporarily, and even with his horrendous work this season Rowland-Smith still has a 4.56 ERA in 352 career innings. Like me, Rob Neyer of ESPN.com wonders about the validity of the injury given the timing of the whole thing.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (233)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)