Jul 28, 2010, 5:18 PM EDT
Last night Ryan Rowland-Smith became the eighth pitcher to allow double-digit earned runs in a game this season, coughing up 11 runs in a blowout loss to the White Sox.
Rowland-Smith was down 4-0 after one inning, 7-0 after two innings, and 8-0 after three innings, yet the Mariners left him out there to complete five frames in an effort to save the bullpen. And now Rowland-Smith has been placed on the disabled list with a “lower back strain.”
After the ugly outing manager Don Wakamatsu said he’d have to talk to general manager Jack Zduriencik to “make a decision” regarding Rowland-Smith’s future, because at 1-10 with a 6.96 ERA he certainly didn’t deserve to remain in the Mariners’ rotation and the 27-year-old left-hander is out of minor-league options.
Sending him to the DL is a way to avoid potentially losing him on waivers, at least temporarily, and even with his horrendous work this season Rowland-Smith still has a 4.56 ERA in 352 career innings. Like me, Rob Neyer of ESPN.com wonders about the validity of the injury given the timing of the whole thing.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 115
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (156)