A.J. Burnett will not stop throwing pies

Jul 28, 2010, 8:25 AM EST

The Daily News caught up with A.J. Burnett yesterday and asked him if he’s re-thinking his pie-in-the-face routine in the wake of Chris Coghlan’s knee injury.  The answer: not on your life:

“I feel sorry for him. You cant take the fun out of the
game, but you have to do it right, I guess. It’s an unfortunate
incident, but I’m still going to throw pies . . . I don’t exactly go full-sprint at somebody with a pie. Stuff happens, I guess. I always try to somewhat think safety first -
unless I’m snapping – even when I’m pie-ing.”

His manager has his back too. Joe Girardi:

“A.J. has had a lot of practice at it and seems pretty efficient at it.
It’s a fine line that you walk, but I have not said anything to our
players about taking it away.”

I’m torn. On the one hand, I’m really not a fan of the pie thing. But I’m even less of a fan of letting the dumb and clumsy kids ruin everything for the rest of us. It was probably Chris Coghlan’s older brother who made them take Jarts away from us. Kendry Morales’ cousin is probably the reason they discontinued the Boba Fett that actually shot the rocket out of his backpack back in the day. Jerks.

I’d like to know what Girardi means by Burnett’s pie-throwing “efficiency” — some stathead probably has it worked out — but the way I see it, if he wants to keep throwing pies, more power to him.

1. YankeesfanLen - Jul 28, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Captain Derek Jeter is the only non-pied Yankee. He refuses to hit a walk-off so he does not have to participate in this sophmoric display of puerile foolishness.

2. Ditto65 - Jul 28, 2010 at 8:49 AM

The Captain should get one for what is his equivalent of teh walk-off – NOT hitting into a DP.

3. YankeesfanLen - Jul 28, 2010 at 9:00 AM

That’s for sure-Gardner batting 9th and getting on base usually means a DP before Brett can steal second.

4. Old Gator - Jul 28, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Whatever happened to the venerable bag of dogshit?

5. SDelMonte - Jul 28, 2010 at 9:21 AM

I think it just signed a contract to be a middle reliever.

6. Jonny5 - Jul 28, 2010 at 9:24 AM

What annoys me most about the whole “pie” thing. It’s not pie at all. It’s shaving cream on a towel. that’s just dumb. How much does whip cream cost? And doesn’t the menthol in shaving cream burn the eyes? And it always ends a nice interview too early. I say DOWN WITH PIES! Unless they’re real. then they’ll be permitted. Who doesn’t like whip cream anyway?

7. Jonny5 - Jul 28, 2010 at 9:25 AM

But Jeter gives himself a pie in the face every night I hear. Just for being Derek Jeter. What an honor it is to be him…. sigh…..

8. Ditto65 - Jul 28, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Gardner should just try to stretch every single into a double.

9. Bull Durham - Jul 28, 2010 at 10:03 AM

I dunno, maybe I have a different sense of humor, but does anyone – ANYONE? – still think a shaving cream towel to the face is funny in a post-game interview? It’s tired and expected and now apparently dangerous so what exactly is so freakin’ compelling to these ballplayers to keep doing it? I mean, hell, why can’t they do something original like, say, dump of cooler of Gatorade on the guy’s head or something?

10. YANKEES1996 - Jul 28, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Hello, it is grown men getting paid to play a game, it is supposed to be fun. This is one way to keep a team loose and build chemistry, players that like playing together play better together. Joe Girardi tried the “military style personality” in his early managing career and it did not work well. I say let the pies fly AJ, lets go out there and have some fun. The players that have been hurt were “freak accidents” and to be honest you can get hurt walking out of the house.

11. BC - Jul 28, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Why don’t they just beer the guy?
    PS. I still have a set of Jarts. (Shhhh…)

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3231)
  2. J. Kang (3087)
  3. C. McGehee (2805)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2781)
  5. J. Upton (2768)