Jul 28, 2010, 8:25 AM EDT
“I feel sorry for him. You cant take the fun out of the
game, but you have to do it right, I guess. It’s an unfortunate
incident, but I’m still going to throw pies . . . I don’t exactly go full-sprint at somebody with a pie. Stuff happens, I guess. I always try to somewhat think safety first -
unless I’m snapping – even when I’m pie-ing.”
His manager has his back too. Joe Girardi:
“A.J. has had a lot of practice at it and seems pretty efficient at it.
It’s a fine line that you walk, but I have not said anything to our
players about taking it away.”
I’m torn. On the one hand, I’m really not a fan of the pie thing. But I’m even less of a fan of letting the dumb and clumsy kids ruin everything for the rest of us. It was probably Chris Coghlan’s older brother who made them take Jarts away from us. Kendry Morales’ cousin is probably the reason they discontinued the Boba Fett that actually shot the rocket out of his backpack back in the day. Jerks.
I’d like to know what Girardi means by Burnett’s pie-throwing “efficiency” — some stathead probably has it worked out — but the way I see it, if he wants to keep throwing pies, more power to him.
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 8
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 57
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 24
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 28
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (98)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)