Jul 28, 2010, 8:25 AM EDT
“I feel sorry for him. You cant take the fun out of the
game, but you have to do it right, I guess. It’s an unfortunate
incident, but I’m still going to throw pies . . . I don’t exactly go full-sprint at somebody with a pie. Stuff happens, I guess. I always try to somewhat think safety first –
unless I’m snapping – even when I’m pie-ing.”
His manager has his back too. Joe Girardi:
“A.J. has had a lot of practice at it and seems pretty efficient at it.
It’s a fine line that you walk, but I have not said anything to our
players about taking it away.”
I’m torn. On the one hand, I’m really not a fan of the pie thing. But I’m even less of a fan of letting the dumb and clumsy kids ruin everything for the rest of us. It was probably Chris Coghlan’s older brother who made them take Jarts away from us. Kendry Morales’ cousin is probably the reason they discontinued the Boba Fett that actually shot the rocket out of his backpack back in the day. Jerks.
I’d like to know what Girardi means by Burnett’s pie-throwing “efficiency” — some stathead probably has it worked out — but the way I see it, if he wants to keep throwing pies, more power to him.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)