Jul 28, 2010, 8:25 AM EST
“I feel sorry for him. You cant take the fun out of the
game, but you have to do it right, I guess. It’s an unfortunate
incident, but I’m still going to throw pies . . . I don’t exactly go full-sprint at somebody with a pie. Stuff happens, I guess. I always try to somewhat think safety first -
unless I’m snapping – even when I’m pie-ing.”
His manager has his back too. Joe Girardi:
“A.J. has had a lot of practice at it and seems pretty efficient at it.
It’s a fine line that you walk, but I have not said anything to our
players about taking it away.”
I’m torn. On the one hand, I’m really not a fan of the pie thing. But I’m even less of a fan of letting the dumb and clumsy kids ruin everything for the rest of us. It was probably Chris Coghlan’s older brother who made them take Jarts away from us. Kendry Morales’ cousin is probably the reason they discontinued the Boba Fett that actually shot the rocket out of his backpack back in the day. Jerks.
I’d like to know what Girardi means by Burnett’s pie-throwing “efficiency” — some stathead probably has it worked out — but the way I see it, if he wants to keep throwing pies, more power to him.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)