Jul 28, 2010, 8:25 AM EST
“I feel sorry for him. You cant take the fun out of the
game, but you have to do it right, I guess. It’s an unfortunate
incident, but I’m still going to throw pies . . . I don’t exactly go full-sprint at somebody with a pie. Stuff happens, I guess. I always try to somewhat think safety first -
unless I’m snapping – even when I’m pie-ing.”
His manager has his back too. Joe Girardi:
“A.J. has had a lot of practice at it and seems pretty efficient at it.
It’s a fine line that you walk, but I have not said anything to our
players about taking it away.”
I’m torn. On the one hand, I’m really not a fan of the pie thing. But I’m even less of a fan of letting the dumb and clumsy kids ruin everything for the rest of us. It was probably Chris Coghlan’s older brother who made them take Jarts away from us. Kendry Morales’ cousin is probably the reason they discontinued the Boba Fett that actually shot the rocket out of his backpack back in the day. Jerks.
I’d like to know what Girardi means by Burnett’s pie-throwing “efficiency” — some stathead probably has it worked out — but the way I see it, if he wants to keep throwing pies, more power to him.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 0
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 80
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 34
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)