And That Happened: Tuesday's Scores and Highlights

Jul 28, 2010, 5:54 AM EDT

In which I describe a nightmare in which all of my baseball demons come to attack me!

Nationals 3, Braves 0: Stephen Strasburg was scratched, but at least he showed up at the ballpark. Can’t say the same for the Braves. Hell, I think they’re still stuck in the Miami airport waiting for their charter to D.C. Whoever it was playing in the road uniforms last night didn’t seem to give a rat’s patootie about this game, though. Two of the three Nats’ runs were unearned because the dudes wearing the Brian McCann and Chipper Jones replica jerseys threw the ball all over the place. Give a hand to Miguel Batista, though, for stepping in on short notice and throwing five innings of shutout ball. Whether it was against impostors or not, that’s some gutsy baseball right there.

Mets 8, Cardinals 2: Home sweet home for the Mets as they lay the beatdown on Adam Wainwright. Jeff Francoeur had a three-run homer because God wanted my Tuesday night to be as crappy as possible from a baseball perspective. In related news my dream last night was Kent Hrbek, Jim Leyritz and the ghost of Eric Gregg ganging up on me in an alley while Lonnie Smith yelled at me to “Run! Run! Run like your life depends on it, Craig!”

Indians 4, Yankees 1: Josh Tomlin makes his major league debut and shuts
down the Yankees over seven innings. At this point I would like to
mention that I saw Tomlin pitch here in Columbus back in May and
at the time I said that he looked better than anyone the Indians had on
their roster at the time, so maybe they should call him up
. I would also like to point out that Tomlin is facing felonious assault charges right now, — UPDATE: the charges were recently reduced to “disorderly conduct” — so maybe he figured “screw it; no reason to save any energy for tomorow because there may be no tomorrow for me.”

Phillies 9, Diamondbacks 5: Six straight for the Phillies behind homers from Werth and Howard. Bad news though too: Shane Victorino left the game with an oblique injury. Bad news for Arizona too as Justin Upton left with a bum hip.

White Sox 11, Mariners 0: Know how I know the Mariners suck? They had nearly a dozen runs scored on them by a team who was using Juan Pierre as their DH. That’s how I know the Mariners suck. Ryan-Rowland Smith keeps getting starts for these guys too. I mean, I keep telling Don Wakamatsu that Smith is bluffing and that he’d never release the pictures to the media because they’d be just as damning for him, but he apparently doesn’t believe me.

Rays 3, Tigers 2: Carlos Pena and Matt Joyce account for all the Rays runs. Joyce had the big hit on Monday night too. Given how charitable Detroit is to former Tigers, I expect Joe Maddon to employ the following lineup for tomorrow night’s game:

1. Ron LeFlore CF
2. Lou Whitaker 2B
3. Rusty Staub DH
4. Darrell Evans 1B
5. Kirk Gibson RF
6. Larry Herndon LF
7. George Kell 3B
8. Lance Parrish C
9. Ray Oyler SS

Yeah, it’s not perfect –Ray Oyler turns 72 next week and couldn’t hit when he was 30 and George Kell is dead for cryin’ out loud — but I like their chances against the current Tigers squad, don’t you?

Oh, and B.J. Upton got hurt too. Bad night for the Uptons. I’m going to assume that it was like Cheech and Chong in the Corsican Brothers and that each felt the others’ pain.

Rangers 3, Athletics 1: The Rangers just got done putting the Angels in
their place as would-be competitors and now they’re doing the same thing
to the A’s, who are tied with Anaheim for second. Cliff Lee was his
usual astounding self: Complete game nine innings (of course). No walks (of course).
Thirteen strikeouts (of course). Game score for pitchers isn’t the
be-all end-all, but it’s fun. Lee’s game score of 88 was the same as
Ubaldo Jimenez’s score for his no-hitter and the same as Armando
Galarraga’s for his near-perfect game.

Astros 6, Cubs 1: All this effort to trade Roy Oswalt when Brett Myers is (a) having a better year; and (b) is way more tradeable given his contract. Another great outing for him last night (CG 4 H, 1 ER, 12K). Ted Lilly did nothing to hurt his trade stock either, as he threw five and two-thirds shutout innings. They weren’t the most efficient innings on the planet, but good is good. The score is a function of a bullpen implosion.

Blue Jays 8, Orioles 2: Jose Bautista clubbed two more homers, bringing his league leading total to 30. It’s probably time for the O’s to shut Kevin Millwood down for the year following yet another awful outing. He’s either still injured or else he has a giant fork sticking out of his back.

Giants 6, Marlins 4: I declared the Giants dead a few weeks ago. Which goes to show you that you should never listen to anything I have to say about anything ever.

Dodgers 2, Padres 0: We should all probably thank the Padres and the Braves for taking one for the team and giving us all a couple of nice tight races this summer when they really didn’t have to. Billingsley Kuo and Broxton combine for the shutout.

Red Sox 4, Angels 2: John Lackey gives up two runs in seven and a third against his old mates. He was booed lustily by the Anaheim crowd in his second game against the Angels since leaving via free agency, though first in California.

Pirates 4, Rockies 2: Colorado is 2-10 since the All-Star break. It’s like the bizarro version of one of those incredible runs like they went on last year or in 2007.Clint Barmes after the game: “We’ve been playing bad baseball. We’re not doing the little things.”  That’s not fair, Clint. You guys aren’t doing the big things either.

Twins 11, Royals 2: Another day against the Royals another double-digit offensive output for the Twins. Another big day for Danny Valencia too, who went 4 for 5 with three RBI.  And the 13th win for Carl Pavanostache.

Reds 12, Brewers 4: Cincinnati raps out 19 hits and pull back into a tie in the NL Central. This was probably the ugliest game of the night. Eleven pitchers allow 28 hits, neither starter goes four innings and the whole shebang lasts 3:41. Edinson Volquez is probably back from surgery too soon, by the way. He may feel good but he has no command.

1. mezzie - Jul 28, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Cliff Lee pitched 9 innings but it wasn’t a complete game since it was tied 1-1 after 9. Neftali Perez came in and pitched the 10th, the Rangers scored 2, and Perez garnered a well-deserved win while Lee got nothing for his effort.

2. Craig Calcaterra - Jul 28, 2010 at 8:19 AM

Oops. My bad. Thanks!

3. mezzie - Jul 28, 2010 at 8:28 AM

It happens! Just glad there were no “Feesh” references today :)

4. Jonny5 - Jul 28, 2010 at 9:12 AM

I wonder if Ruben Amaro regrets trading Lee yet? Well I think he did a week later. If not he’s stupid. Anyway, regardless the Phills are finding a way to win despite injuries and a bullpen that kinda stinks in a very important spot or two, one being the closing role. So it’s 3.5 games back and they look to have found their swing again, it’s about time. I expect improvements to the team as the deadline approaches. I don’t see them trading Werth, they need his right handed threat on their lefty heavy team. They have the rest of the season to work out a deal to keep him or not. If not? Then they pick up a righty off season and collect the draft picks for Werth leaving. They will pick up some bullpen help imo, a starting pitcher of mid grade proportions, and that’s it. I really don’t want to see them toss Werth so they can get Oswalt. I also think Happ will be gone soon as part of a deal to do what they need before the deadline.
    BTW in non baseball news. Caddyshack is 30 years old this week. Yes I was alive, but only 3 feet tall. I figured since Craig made me feel old yesterday with his movie mention, i’d return the favor to some older people than me. I know. Rotten.

5. Old Gator - Jul 28, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Ah yes, the Feesh.
    On a night when Josh Johnson didn’t have his best stuff – I guess that’s a bit like a night on which Megan Fox is your girlfriend but has a headache – it took the redoubtable (which means if you didn’t doubt before, doubt again) Feesh boolpen about eight peetches to tank the game.
    Despite the fact that Chris Coghlan will need knee surgery after all and will not be moved to third base – although he couldn’t do a much worse job of it playing in a cast than Jorge Cantu does under ordinary circumstances – Logan Morrison appeared as if by magic from New Orleans as Nate Robertson disappeared forever, making me wonder if he isn’t a pal of Lestat’s, and went a shakedown cruise 1-for-4. This is at least conceptually consistent with Scrooge McLoria’s philosophy that an inexpensive outfielder playing wretchedly out of position beats a reasonably well paid position player playing where he’s supposed to play any old time.
    Speaking of Jorge Cantu, he sat again last night. Doubtless that’s because showcasing him from the bench is a lot safer than leaving him out in the field where he can reduce his trade value from either a competent journeyman something or other, or a handful of EYPs, to an EYP, a player to be named later, and about half of Cantu’s salary to be paid by the Feesh until 2012. Look for the Feesh to continue to try to move Jorge Cantu to a team needing a first baseman or DH for an inexpensive slugging outfielder or plodding lefthanded infielder (who will be played in foul territory the better to guard the line) to convert to a third baseman before the deadline.
    Without Nate McLouth to deliver those critical late-inning infield rollers off his foot or to attract occasional passed balls, the Bravos went down again last night and so the Feesh remain seven point five out in the division and stuck to the strange attractor again. Despite being exiled to Gwinnet, though, Craig shouldn’t feel so secure. McLouth can hitchhike back to the stadium from the suburbs within about fifteen minutes if he wants to.

6. Jeff Bower - Jul 28, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Re. tonight’s proposed Tigers’ lineup, Ray Oyler is dead, too. Not that it affects his hitting.

7. APBA Guy - Jul 28, 2010 at 12:37 PM

The A’s had won 9 of 11 before last night’s game, which was a beautifully pitched affair. Lee was a strike throwing machine as Craig pointed out. But Gio continues his maturation as he held the Rangers in check for 6. Josh got two infield hits, the first on a dribbler to first base when he beat Barton in a foot race to the bag, making appropriate use of the head first slide to beat Barton’s lunging tag attempt. Wuertz is still not right after his injury, again leaving his sinker up in the zone. “Country Strong” Nelson Cruz launched a space probe off one of Wuertz’s mistakes that threatened not to come down, but finally did 12 rows up in left. Last night wasn’t blazing hot in Texas, today isn’t supposed to be either, but tomorrow is predicted to be closer to 100. I mention this because Bengie Molina appears to have dropped no weight, no doubt having discovered the joys of the SMU On the Border. I’m wondering if, after crouching behind the plate for 7 innings or so, he will melt into a blob in the catcher’s box.
    And Gator, this is for you:
    The upshot is timing is unpredictable, anytime from late September to December. But Ft. Mason is on the SF side of the Bay, so if you miss them in Muir Woods you can catch them there.

8. mgflolox - Jul 28, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Wes Helms booted one at 3B last night. As the Ol’ Perfesser said, I guess Cantu has third base so screwed up for the Feesh that nobody can play it.

9. mgflolox - Jul 28, 2010 at 2:56 PM

You taking drugs Johnny?

Pineda ejection wrong message from MLB
  1. I. Davis (4253)