Jul 28, 2010, 3:49 PM EDT
University of Texas-Arlington outfielder Michael Choice just became the second of this year’s top-10 draft picks to sign, agreeing to a $2 million bonus from the A’s.
Cal-State Fullerton shortstop and No. 4 overall pick Christian Colon was the first top-10 selection to sign when he accepted a $2.75 million bonus from the Royals shortly after the draft. In fact, Colon played his first pro game just three weeks after being drafted and has hit .277/.333/.376 in 25 games at high Single-A.
Choice figures to be a corner outfielder in the pros after playing center field in college. He has big-time power potential, but some reports question his ability to make consistent contact against advanced pitching.
Teams have until August 16 to sign draft picks and right now only 13 of the 32 first rounders have signed.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)