Jul 28, 2010, 5:49 PM EST
Remember the orange shoes Brian Wilson wore while pitching in the All-Star game?
Well, he wore them again last night and Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez complained to MLB, who have fined the Giants’ closer $1,000 for “non-conforming shoes.”
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Wilson “was told that half of each shoe had to be black” and spent this afternoon “sitting by his locker using a black marker to color half of the orange shoes.”
Seriously. He called them “Nike Air Sharpies.”
Asked about the situation–and Rodriguez calling the shoes “too flashy”–Wilson gave a pretty amusing answer:
Too flashy. I didn’t know that’s in the rulebook. Oh it’s not in the rulebook. The fact that he thinks these shoes throw 97 to 100 with cut might be a little far fetched. I guess we should have these checked as performance-enhancing shoes.
In fairness to Rodriguez, the orange shoes are pretty flashy. And in fairness to Wilson, they aren’t all that flashy when accompanied by his mohawk.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)