Jul 28, 2010, 5:49 PM EDT
Remember the orange shoes Brian Wilson wore while pitching in the All-Star game?
Well, he wore them again last night and Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez complained to MLB, who have fined the Giants’ closer $1,000 for “non-conforming shoes.”
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Wilson “was told that half of each shoe had to be black” and spent this afternoon “sitting by his locker using a black marker to color half of the orange shoes.”
Seriously. He called them “Nike Air Sharpies.”
Asked about the situation–and Rodriguez calling the shoes “too flashy”–Wilson gave a pretty amusing answer:
Too flashy. I didn’t know that’s in the rulebook. Oh it’s not in the rulebook. The fact that he thinks these shoes throw 97 to 100 with cut might be a little far fetched. I guess we should have these checked as performance-enhancing shoes.
In fairness to Rodriguez, the orange shoes are pretty flashy. And in fairness to Wilson, they aren’t all that flashy when accompanied by his mohawk.
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 28
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 25
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 84
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)