Jul 28, 2010, 9:31 PM EST
UPDATE, 9:31 PM: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Royals will get catcher Lucas May and right-hander Elisaul Pimentel.
May, 25, has hit .296/.352/.496 with 11 homers and 45 RBI in 260 at-bats for Triple-A Albuquerque. Pimentel, 22, has posted a 3.49 ERA, a 1.17 WHIP and 97 strikeouts in 90.1 innings for Single-A Great Lakes. These aren’t major prospects, but the Dodgers probably had to up the ante to beat out whatever the Giants were presenting.
9:14 PM: Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reports that the Dodgers have acquired outfielder Scott Podsednik from the Royals for two minor leaguers.
Podsednik also drew heavy interest from the Giants, but the Dodgers swooped in and presented a better offer than their division rival.
The speedy outfielder hit .310/.353/.400 with five homers, 44 RBI and 30 stolen bases in 390 at-bats this season for the Royals. He will join an outfield mix in Los Angeles that already includes Andre Ethier, Matt Kemp, 25-year-old Xavier Paul and the currently injured Manny Ramirez. Starts may be at a premium once Manny returns, but the Dodgers will find plenty of ways to use Podsednik.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)