Jul 28, 2010, 11:14 AM EDT
Yahoo! Sports columnist Jeff Passan is one of my favorite writers and Twins catcher Joe Mauer is one of my favorite players, so his piece today entitled “Mauer playing through all kinds of pain” is a must-read:
Joe Mauer is hurt. He smiles through the pain because the unwritten part of a $184 million contract calls for grinning and bearing. He refuses to talk about his injuries because to do so would be to admit they exist, and to do that would seem like an excuse, and if there is anything Joe Mauer hates, it’s excuses. So he plays. “I’m in the lineup,” he said. …
Mauer’s left heel nags him. His right shoulder aches. Two other injuries–his back and his hip, for which the St. Paul Pioneer Press reported he receives treatment–are something neither he nor the organization will address publicly.
On one hand I’m hesitant to post an excerpt like that because it’ll inevitably lead to the usual histrionics about a position switch for the game’s best catcher. On the other hand, Passan is awesome, the column is very good, and I’ve heard rumblings all season about Mauer being more hurt than he’s let on publicly.
It’s easy to focus on the fact that Mauer has lost 200 points of OPS from his MVP-winning campaign, but a dropoff was to be expected following one of the greatest seasons by a catcher in baseball history and his numbers this year are very close to his pre-2009 career marks.
Mauer has been on fire since the All-Star break, raising his season line to .308/.374/.462. Prior to winning the MVP with an out-of-character power display he hit .317/.399/.457. Factor in the move to pitcher-friendly Target Field plus offense being down across baseball this season and those numbers are basically identical.
Mauer’s lack of production has generally been overstated, in no small part because of the timing of winning an MVP with an historic season and then signing a $184 million contract. He’s not hitting like he was last season and injuries may be partly to blame, but he is hitting like he did from 2004-2008 and that still makes Mauer one of the best all-around players in baseball.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)