Jul 28, 2010, 5:59 PM EDT
After my post about Joakim Soria’s no-trade clause keeping him from the Yankees yesterday, many of you responded with “sure, but wouldn’t he want the chance to play on a winner? That would trump the saves!” Answer: no it wouldn’t. Jon Paul Morosi:
Soria’s $6 million contract option for 2012 will vest automatically with 55 games finished in 2011. But it’s hard to finish that many games if you’re not the closer. That’s why his no-trade clause offers him protection for deals to several teams that have veteran closers.
Those clubs, according to a major league source, are the Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers, Phillies, Cardinals and Cubs.
Frankly, I think he’d have a better chance of it vesting with the Phillies than anywhere given Brad Lidge’s adventures, but the point remains: Soria needs to close for his options to vest. In addition to the 2012 option, he has an $8 million in 2013 and an $8.75 million option for 2014.
Sure, there’s an argument that he could do better than that, but that’s only if he remains an elite closer, isn’t it? And if he falls off at all from elite closer status, there won’t be any $22 million deals out there for him, I’d presume.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 16
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 26
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 26
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)