Jul 28, 2010, 5:59 PM EDT
After my post about Joakim Soria’s no-trade clause keeping him from the Yankees yesterday, many of you responded with “sure, but wouldn’t he want the chance to play on a winner? That would trump the saves!” Answer: no it wouldn’t. Jon Paul Morosi:
Soria’s $6 million contract option for 2012 will vest automatically with 55 games finished in 2011. But it’s hard to finish that many games if you’re not the closer. That’s why his no-trade clause offers him protection for deals to several teams that have veteran closers.
Those clubs, according to a major league source, are the Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers, Phillies, Cardinals and Cubs.
Frankly, I think he’d have a better chance of it vesting with the Phillies than anywhere given Brad Lidge’s adventures, but the point remains: Soria needs to close for his options to vest. In addition to the 2012 option, he has an $8 million in 2013 and an $8.75 million option for 2014.
Sure, there’s an argument that he could do better than that, but that’s only if he remains an elite closer, isn’t it? And if he falls off at all from elite closer status, there won’t be any $22 million deals out there for him, I’d presume.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 96
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (106)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)