Jul 28, 2010, 5:59 PM EDT
After my post about Joakim Soria’s no-trade clause keeping him from the Yankees yesterday, many of you responded with “sure, but wouldn’t he want the chance to play on a winner? That would trump the saves!” Answer: no it wouldn’t. Jon Paul Morosi:
Soria’s $6 million contract option for 2012 will vest automatically with 55 games finished in 2011. But it’s hard to finish that many games if you’re not the closer. That’s why his no-trade clause offers him protection for deals to several teams that have veteran closers.
Those clubs, according to a major league source, are the Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers, Phillies, Cardinals and Cubs.
Frankly, I think he’d have a better chance of it vesting with the Phillies than anywhere given Brad Lidge’s adventures, but the point remains: Soria needs to close for his options to vest. In addition to the 2012 option, he has an $8 million in 2013 and an $8.75 million option for 2014.
Sure, there’s an argument that he could do better than that, but that’s only if he remains an elite closer, isn’t it? And if he falls off at all from elite closer status, there won’t be any $22 million deals out there for him, I’d presume.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 0
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 54
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)