Jul 28, 2010, 4:14 PM EDT
Scheduled to start against the Red Sox this afternoon, Joel Pineiro was scratched at the last minute with a “mild oblique strain” suffered in his pregame bullpen session.
Scot Shields got the nod as the emergency fill in and is starting for the first time since 2003.
Oblique strains can be very tricky injuries, because “mild” or not they have a tendency to linger, are susceptible to setbacks and aggravations, and this season have often kept pitchers sidelined for several weeks.
In other words, it’s a pretty tough break for an Angels team already clinging to contention. Pineiro is 10-7 with a 4.18 ERA overall this season, including 6-1 with a 2.83 ERA in his last eight starts.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12