Jul 28, 2010, 4:14 PM EDT
Scheduled to start against the Red Sox this afternoon, Joel Pineiro was scratched at the last minute with a “mild oblique strain” suffered in his pregame bullpen session.
Scot Shields got the nod as the emergency fill in and is starting for the first time since 2003.
Oblique strains can be very tricky injuries, because “mild” or not they have a tendency to linger, are susceptible to setbacks and aggravations, and this season have often kept pitchers sidelined for several weeks.
In other words, it’s a pretty tough break for an Angels team already clinging to contention. Pineiro is 10-7 with a 4.18 ERA overall this season, including 6-1 with a 2.83 ERA in his last eight starts.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 4
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 61
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 17
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 27
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 31
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 84
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)