Jul 28, 2010, 4:14 PM EDT
Scheduled to start against the Red Sox this afternoon, Joel Pineiro was scratched at the last minute with a “mild oblique strain” suffered in his pregame bullpen session.
Scot Shields got the nod as the emergency fill in and is starting for the first time since 2003.
Oblique strains can be very tricky injuries, because “mild” or not they have a tendency to linger, are susceptible to setbacks and aggravations, and this season have often kept pitchers sidelined for several weeks.
In other words, it’s a pretty tough break for an Angels team already clinging to contention. Pineiro is 10-7 with a 4.18 ERA overall this season, including 6-1 with a 2.83 ERA in his last eight starts.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)