Jul 28, 2010, 4:14 PM EDT
Scheduled to start against the Red Sox this afternoon, Joel Pineiro was scratched at the last minute with a “mild oblique strain” suffered in his pregame bullpen session.
Scot Shields got the nod as the emergency fill in and is starting for the first time since 2003.
Oblique strains can be very tricky injuries, because “mild” or not they have a tendency to linger, are susceptible to setbacks and aggravations, and this season have often kept pitchers sidelined for several weeks.
In other words, it’s a pretty tough break for an Angels team already clinging to contention. Pineiro is 10-7 with a 4.18 ERA overall this season, including 6-1 with a 2.83 ERA in his last eight starts.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 56
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)