Jul 28, 2010, 4:14 PM EDT
Scheduled to start against the Red Sox this afternoon, Joel Pineiro was scratched at the last minute with a “mild oblique strain” suffered in his pregame bullpen session.
Scot Shields got the nod as the emergency fill in and is starting for the first time since 2003.
Oblique strains can be very tricky injuries, because “mild” or not they have a tendency to linger, are susceptible to setbacks and aggravations, and this season have often kept pitchers sidelined for several weeks.
In other words, it’s a pretty tough break for an Angels team already clinging to contention. Pineiro is 10-7 with a 4.18 ERA overall this season, including 6-1 with a 2.83 ERA in his last eight starts.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 38
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 69
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 121
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (132)
- Fox’s World Series broadcast gets a low grade from The New York Times (111)