Jul 28, 2010, 10:47 AM EDT
Manny Ramirez has been on the disabled list since July 17 with a strained right calf and yesterday manager Joe Torre said “it’ll be more than a week” before he returns to the Dodgers.
Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports that Ramirez is currently rehabbing at the team complex in Arizona and has not yet been scheduled for any game action, so assuming he’ll need a minor-league rehab assignment of some length Ramirez may still be several weeks from potentially coming off the DL.
Ramirez has missed 39 of the Dodgers’ first 100 games while spending three different stints on the DL, but has hit .317/.409/.516 in the 61 games he’s been healthy enough to play to essentially match last year’s production and post an OPS above .900 for the 15th time in 16 seasons.
Torre has been mixing and matching Xavier Paul, Garret Anderson, and Jamey Carroll as the fill-ins for Ramirez in left field.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)