Jul 28, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Chone Figgins and Don Wakamatsu had an altercation in the dugout Friday and Mariners play-by-play announcer Dave Sims mentioned the incident on the air moments later, but the local FSN broadcast never showed the video despite the other team’s broadcast (and a short time after that MLB Network) replaying the footage several times.
Or as Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times put it: “MLB Network viewers around the country could see the Mariners throwing each other around in the dugout, while viewers in the Pacific Northwest had only the words of Sims to paint them a picture.”
Baker asked FSN Northwest executive producer Jon Bradford for an explanation and he called it “a communication faux pas” while adding that “nobody said anything about not airing it.”
Here’s more from Baker:
What it boils down to is, the people in the control truck, running the broadcast, wanted to check with the folks upstairs at FSN Northwest to make sure they could run the footage. Bradford was in a movie with his family at the time and did not get in touch with the people running the broadcast until a few innings later. By then, it was already late in a close ballgame and everyone decided, Bradford said, to go with the footage right after the contest was over.
They would cut in live to Wakamatsu’s postgame press conference and use the footage to supplement the coverage. Bradford also said that the FSN employees viewing the footage “wanted to get their facts straight” initially about what they were seeing on the video–which contributed to the initial delay. … Chalk it all up to some FSN Northwest people being a little cautious. Maybe more cautious than a non-rights holder might have been.
I’d say there’s no “maybe” about it. And as more and more baseball coverage comes from local FSN affiliates that are partnered with teams and team-run MLB.com sites it’s important to keep tabs on stuff like this.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 13
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 45
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 28
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 46
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)