Jul 28, 2010, 12:01 PM EST
You’re not gonna believe this one from Buster Olney’s column this morning:
Heard this: The Cubs have made it clear that Carlos Zambrano, who is owed about $42 million left on his contract, is very much available.
This is either a refreshing example of self-awareness and a flash of delicious irony on Buster Olney’s part — realizing the true, troublesome nature of the “heard this” piece — or else it’s evidence that you can safely hold off on that ESPN Insider subscription for another six months.
Either way, I’ll keep passing along gems like this so you won’t miss anything.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (225)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)