Jul 28, 2010, 7:21 PM EST
Kyle Blanks, who has been on the DL since May 17 with what the Padres called a strained throwing elbow, will undergo Tommy John surgery Friday and miss the rest of the season.
A pitcher undergoing a similar surgery would face the likelihood of missing at least half of 2011. Blanks might be able to return sooner, but it’d be easier for him to do so as a first baseman than as an outfielder.
Of course, Blanks should have been playing first base all along. The 6-foot-6, 270-pound behemoth has started 62 games in the outfield for the Padres the last two years because of Adrian Gonzalez’s precense on the roster. Playing out of position caused him to develop plantar fasciitis last year, ending his season in August.
Whether or not making throws from the outfield caused his torn elbow ligament is unclear, but it could well have played a role.
The injury puts his future within the organization in doubt. The Padres would have to be especially nervous about trading Gonzalez this winter with their replacement iffy for Opening Day. And if Gonzalez stays and Blanks is unable to come back and make throws from the outfield next year, then the young slugger may well be a non-factor until 2012.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 83
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 33
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 145
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)