Jul 28, 2010, 7:48 PM EDT
Angels starter Joel Pineiro has been diagnosed with a badly strained left oblique and is expected to miss the next 6-8 weeks. This according to Sam Miller of the Orange County Register.
Yet another major injury for the Angels to deal with. Pineiro, who signed a two-year, $16 million contract with the Halos this offseason, had posted a 10-7 record, a 4.18 ERA and a 1.31 WHIP over 20 starts this year in Anaheim. His spectacular 55.4% groundball rate currently ranks ninth in the major leagues.
The Angels traded for right-hander Dan Haren on Sunday night and attempted to acquire Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee this week to bolster their offense, but Lee declined a trade and Haren isn’t going to lead the club to the playoffs on his own.
The Rangers stand 8.5 games ahead in the American League West and the Angels are trailing six teams in the hunt for the Wild Card. Anaheim may miss the playoffs for the first time since 2006.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 41
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 26
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 59
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)