Jul 28, 2010, 7:48 PM EDT
Angels starter Joel Pineiro has been diagnosed with a badly strained left oblique and is expected to miss the next 6-8 weeks. This according to Sam Miller of the Orange County Register.
Yet another major injury for the Angels to deal with. Pineiro, who signed a two-year, $16 million contract with the Halos this offseason, had posted a 10-7 record, a 4.18 ERA and a 1.31 WHIP over 20 starts this year in Anaheim. His spectacular 55.4% groundball rate currently ranks ninth in the major leagues.
The Angels traded for right-hander Dan Haren on Sunday night and attempted to acquire Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee this week to bolster their offense, but Lee declined a trade and Haren isn’t going to lead the club to the playoffs on his own.
The Rangers stand 8.5 games ahead in the American League West and the Angels are trailing six teams in the hunt for the Wild Card. Anaheim may miss the playoffs for the first time since 2006.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 45
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 50
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 50
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)