Jul 28, 2010, 7:48 PM EDT
Angels starter Joel Pineiro has been diagnosed with a badly strained left oblique and is expected to miss the next 6-8 weeks. This according to Sam Miller of the Orange County Register.
Yet another major injury for the Angels to deal with. Pineiro, who signed a two-year, $16 million contract with the Halos this offseason, had posted a 10-7 record, a 4.18 ERA and a 1.31 WHIP over 20 starts this year in Anaheim. His spectacular 55.4% groundball rate currently ranks ninth in the major leagues.
The Angels traded for right-hander Dan Haren on Sunday night and attempted to acquire Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee this week to bolster their offense, but Lee declined a trade and Haren isn’t going to lead the club to the playoffs on his own.
The Rangers stand 8.5 games ahead in the American League West and the Angels are trailing six teams in the hunt for the Wild Card. Anaheim may miss the playoffs for the first time since 2006.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)