Jul 28, 2010, 7:48 PM EDT
Angels starter Joel Pineiro has been diagnosed with a badly strained left oblique and is expected to miss the next 6-8 weeks. This according to Sam Miller of the Orange County Register.
Yet another major injury for the Angels to deal with. Pineiro, who signed a two-year, $16 million contract with the Halos this offseason, had posted a 10-7 record, a 4.18 ERA and a 1.31 WHIP over 20 starts this year in Anaheim. His spectacular 55.4% groundball rate currently ranks ninth in the major leagues.
The Angels traded for right-hander Dan Haren on Sunday night and attempted to acquire Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee this week to bolster their offense, but Lee declined a trade and Haren isn’t going to lead the club to the playoffs on his own.
The Rangers stand 8.5 games ahead in the American League West and the Angels are trailing six teams in the hunt for the Wild Card. Anaheim may miss the playoffs for the first time since 2006.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 26
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 7
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)