Jul 28, 2010, 7:48 PM EST
Angels starter Joel Pineiro has been diagnosed with a badly strained left oblique and is expected to miss the next 6-8 weeks. This according to Sam Miller of the Orange County Register.
Yet another major injury for the Angels to deal with. Pineiro, who signed a two-year, $16 million contract with the Halos this offseason, had posted a 10-7 record, a 4.18 ERA and a 1.31 WHIP over 20 starts this year in Anaheim. His spectacular 55.4% groundball rate currently ranks ninth in the major leagues.
The Angels traded for right-hander Dan Haren on Sunday night and attempted to acquire Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee this week to bolster their offense, but Lee declined a trade and Haren isn’t going to lead the club to the playoffs on his own.
The Rangers stand 8.5 games ahead in the American League West and the Angels are trailing six teams in the hunt for the Wild Card. Anaheim may miss the playoffs for the first time since 2006.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 43
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 36
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)