Jul 28, 2010, 7:48 PM EDT
Angels starter Joel Pineiro has been diagnosed with a badly strained left oblique and is expected to miss the next 6-8 weeks. This according to Sam Miller of the Orange County Register.
Yet another major injury for the Angels to deal with. Pineiro, who signed a two-year, $16 million contract with the Halos this offseason, had posted a 10-7 record, a 4.18 ERA and a 1.31 WHIP over 20 starts this year in Anaheim. His spectacular 55.4% groundball rate currently ranks ninth in the major leagues.
The Angels traded for right-hander Dan Haren on Sunday night and attempted to acquire Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee this week to bolster their offense, but Lee declined a trade and Haren isn’t going to lead the club to the playoffs on his own.
The Rangers stand 8.5 games ahead in the American League West and the Angels are trailing six teams in the hunt for the Wild Card. Anaheim may miss the playoffs for the first time since 2006.
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 2
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 11
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 71
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 24
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)