Quote of the Day: Adam Dunn on trade possibilities

Jul 28, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT

Behold the wisdom of The Donkey.

“It’s very easy for me to block it out. I understand it’s
my career, but the options are pretty good. I stay where I want to stay,
or I go and probably get a chance to play for a World Series,
definitely in a pennant race. That’s two pretty awesome options. I’m in a
win-win situation.”

Adam Dunn, talking about why he blocks out the trade chatter.

Dunn was routinely knocked when he played for the Reds for having a bad attitude and being lackadaisical.  Every time he opens his mouth, however, he sounds like a remarkably grounded and healthy person.  Maybe that just doesn’t fly with the Marty Brennamans of the world, but I can’t imagine not wanting a sensible guy like Dunn in my clubhouse.

1. Jonny5 - Jul 28, 2010 at 12:22 PM

This guy has heart. I’ve seen it. He’s no OF, but I watched him try. To my amusement actually. He seems like the kind of guy you wouldn’t mind your sister marrying.

2. Largebill - Jul 28, 2010 at 12:36 PM

As an outfielder Dunn looks like a football player attempting to learn the game. However, he has improved his defense at first enough that he gets the job done well. As far as attitude & Brennaman, I’ve lived in Cincy for a few years now and have learned that when Marty takes a position I should just instinctively choose the opposite. A lot of people in this town swear by him, but he just grates on me with how he seems to take pride in stubbornly insisting that wrong is right. Brantley (I think) mentioned Twitter during a broadcast the other night and Brennaman’s response was similar to what you’d expect from a luddite. The Unabomber is more likely to embrace technology or advanced statistics.

3. John - Jul 28, 2010 at 1:00 PM

I remember when JP Ricciardi talked on the radio about how Dunn “doesn’t like playing baseball”, I saw an interview with him Dunn where he said “Yeah, I’m just not really the rah-rah cheerleader type…I guess that means I don’t love the game”. He definitely seemed sincere in that interview. Notice none of the flak he gets comes from his teammates. It’s from writers, and apparently, GM’s in different leagues. He really is in a win-win situation, so it’s good he has a positive outlook on it.

4. janderson - Jul 28, 2010 at 1:11 PM

I have watched and listened to Dunn the past 2 years hear with the Nats and attitude-wise and effort-wise, you could not ask for more – not to mention the 40 bombs and 100 rbi’s. Granted he made Frank Howard look like Willie Mays in the outfield, but the effort was always there. I don’t know what Brennamen’s problem was with Dunn, but I hope Dunn signs a long term contract with the Nats – but if he doesn’t, I am sure he will be remembered fondly and will always get a warm reception when he returns to Nats Park.

5. Paper Lions - Jul 28, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Brennaman didn’t like Dunn because he was always walking and clogging up the bases

6. JBerardi - Jul 28, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Shorter Brennaman: “Boy does this team suck. Well, only one guy to blame: our single best player. Dunn strikes out too much! Boooo!”

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3305)