Jul 28, 2010, 1:49 PM EDT
Miguel Batista, on Nationals fans booing him last night when he was announced as the last-minute fill-in for an injured Stephen Strasburg:
Imagine if you go to see Miss Universe, then you end up having Miss Iowa, you might get those kind of boos. But it’s okay. … I just tried to give the people what they came to see. They came to see a 20-year-old and ended up having [someone] almost 40. They were expecting 10 strikeouts on the bump, but I’m too old for 10. I tried to give them the best I could, stay in the game, make the guys swing the bat because I knew I was limited on my pitches.
Miss Iowa ended up tossing five shutout innings to get his first win of the season.
Of course, as Earl Bloom of the Orange County Register points out, making a comparison to Miss Iowa into a negative loses a little something once you see what she actually looks like.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 28
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 2
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 134
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 10
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (139)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)