Report: the Rangers are inquiring about Prince Fielder

Jul 28, 2010, 2:58 PM EDT

Jon Heyman tweets* that the Rangers have joined the White Sox and Angels as teams who have made inquiries about Prince Fielder.

How on Earth the Rangers could possibly justify taking on Prince Fielder’s salary obligations is beyond me.  There was enough beefing about Cliff Lee and he makes pennies compared to Fielder, who is owed nearly $4 million for the remainder of this year and is arbitration-eligible for 2011 and will get way into eight figures.  Rival executives — who are indirectly picking up the Rangers’ tab — fumed when Lee was traded. They’d probably storm Bud Selig’s office if Fielder went to Texas.

The Angels part of that doesn’t make a ton of sense either. For starters, the Angels don’t have the prospects to give up for him. Moreover, they’d run into roster problems next season as Kendry Morales is coming back and, in all likelihood, Bobby Abreu will be the everyday DH. And Fielder doesn’t want to DH in 2011 anyway. Other than that, totally spiffy.

*I’m only aware Heyman tweeted that second hand — and I can’t even read the link — because for some reason Heyman has decided to block me from following him on Twitter. 36,000 followers, but I’m not allowed. I emailed to ask him why he did it, but it’s been over 48 hours now and he hasn’t responded.

Perhaps he did it because he’s tired of me noting that he has a habit of talking up strange trade and signing rumors of Scott Boras clients to bidding/division rivals like, say, the Rangers and the Angels.  But that’s just me having fun with him. I mean, he’d never, ever really do that, right?

1. bmoline - Jul 28, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Sounds like Lord Haw Haw is getting a little sensitive to your ribbing, Craig.

2. geoknows - Jul 28, 2010 at 3:11 PM

I’ll say it too: Jon Heyman = Boras shill. We all know that. The credibility factor of what Heyman says about a Boros client is extremely low.

3. Jason @ IIATMS - Jul 28, 2010 at 3:19 PM

That’s wonderfully awesome, Craig. Heyman has banned you, and only you.
    Repeat to your wife: “Honey, we’ve made the big time”

4. JBerardi - Jul 28, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Being banned by Heyman only makes you more credible in my eyes, Craig.

5. Jarmahead - Jul 28, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Gawd I wish the Rangers would pick him up. I’d be up for a Harden/Feldman/Davis for Fielder swap. There is no way the league would let this fly…although the Rangers still haven’t eliminated Oswalt from their wishlist either. Hopefully Ryan (assuming he buys the team) will do a better job than lame duck Tom Hicks.
    Actually, in the regard to spending money, bring on Cuban…however he knows less about baseball than basketball….which is scary.

6. RichardInBigD - Jul 28, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Aside from the fact that Fielder would put the Rangers over the top and bring the BIG trophy to Arlington (which would kinda be like the Mets winning it in ’69), the BEST thing that would come of a Fielder to Texas trad would be the storming of Bud’s office, as described by Craig, which would hopefully result in his ultimate demise, if not immediate ouster. Then Mark Cuban could give Nolan and Greenberg the extra money they neeed to lock this thing up, and we’re off to the races for the next 20 years or so…

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5030)