Jul 28, 2010, 2:58 PM EDT
Jon Heyman tweets* that the Rangers have joined the White Sox and Angels as teams who have made inquiries about Prince Fielder.
How on Earth the Rangers could possibly justify taking on Prince Fielder’s salary obligations is beyond me. There was enough beefing about Cliff Lee and he makes pennies compared to Fielder, who is owed nearly $4 million for the remainder of this year and is arbitration-eligible for 2011 and will get way into eight figures. Rival executives — who are indirectly picking up the Rangers’ tab — fumed when Lee was traded. They’d probably storm Bud Selig’s office if Fielder went to Texas.
The Angels part of that doesn’t make a ton of sense either. For starters, the Angels don’t have the prospects to give up for him. Moreover, they’d run into roster problems next season as Kendry Morales is coming back and, in all likelihood, Bobby Abreu will be the everyday DH. And Fielder doesn’t want to DH in 2011 anyway. Other than that, totally spiffy.
*I’m only aware Heyman tweeted that second hand — and I can’t even read the link — because for some reason Heyman has decided to block me from following him on Twitter. 36,000 followers, but I’m not allowed. I emailed to ask him why he did it, but it’s been over 48 hours now and he hasn’t responded.
Perhaps he did it because he’s tired of me noting that he has a habit of talking up strange trade and signing rumors of Scott Boras clients to bidding/division rivals like, say, the Rangers and the Angels. But that’s just me having fun with him. I mean, he’d never, ever really do that, right?
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 38
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 69
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 121
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (121)
- Fox’s World Series broadcast gets a low grade from The New York Times (110)