Jul 28, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
According to Jim Armstrong of the Denver Post the Rockies “are talking to the Cubs about Ryan Theriot.”
Armstrong notes that the Rockies “also are known to be targeting” Jorge Cantu of the Marlins and Kevin Gregg of the Blue Jays, but yesterday Joel Sherman of the New York Post reported that Colorado was “quietly shopping” right-hander Aaron Cook.
In other words, the Rockies aren’t sure whether to be buyers or sellers right now.
Colorado’s pursuit of Theriot is interesting, because they already have a fairly similar second baseman in Clint Barmes. Theriot is 30 years old, Barmes is 31, and they’re both making around $3 million this season with raises to about $4-5 million expected via arbitration next year.
Barmes has hit .260/.308/.436 over the past three seasons, during which time Theriot has hit .292/.354/.354. Toss in Coors Field giving Barmes a boost and Theriot probably comes out looking like a better player, but the difference isn’t particularly big and certainly isn’t big enough to warrant the Rockies giving up something of significant value to make the upgrade.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (196)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)