Jul 28, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
According to Jim Armstrong of the Denver Post the Rockies “are talking to the Cubs about Ryan Theriot.”
Armstrong notes that the Rockies “also are known to be targeting” Jorge Cantu of the Marlins and Kevin Gregg of the Blue Jays, but yesterday Joel Sherman of the New York Post reported that Colorado was “quietly shopping” right-hander Aaron Cook.
In other words, the Rockies aren’t sure whether to be buyers or sellers right now.
Colorado’s pursuit of Theriot is interesting, because they already have a fairly similar second baseman in Clint Barmes. Theriot is 30 years old, Barmes is 31, and they’re both making around $3 million this season with raises to about $4-5 million expected via arbitration next year.
Barmes has hit .260/.308/.436 over the past three seasons, during which time Theriot has hit .292/.354/.354. Toss in Coors Field giving Barmes a boost and Theriot probably comes out looking like a better player, but the difference isn’t particularly big and certainly isn’t big enough to warrant the Rockies giving up something of significant value to make the upgrade.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 50
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 44
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)