Jul 28, 2010, 4:59 PM EDT
UPDATE: Not so fast. I had missed this, but last week Jon Paul Morosi reported that Ted Lilly’s 10-team no-trade clause includes the Phillies. Whether he’s more adamant about not going to Philly than Roy Oswalt seems to be is an open question, but it’s not like this would be a slam dunk or anything.
4:59 P.M.: Ed Price from FanHouse has that one. He notes that it’s “not confirmed,” but that’s what makes it a rumor, right? Someone’s talking about it?
Regardless of how true it is, this seems to make so much more sense to me than the Oswalt-to-Philly rumors. Lilly comes with no big salary obligations and nowhere near the no-trade hurdles that Oswalt has (Lilly has limited no-trade protection; there have been no reports of which teams he’d reject that I can recall). As for performance, yes, there’s a falloff from Oswalt to Lilly. But not a tremendous one, and certainly not one that offsets the far easier-to-do deal that a Lilly trade would represent.
Ken Rosenthal reports that the Dodgers and Twins have inquired about Lilly. The Mets have been talked about before as well, but Rosenthal says they are “waiting on direction from above.” Which means that Omar Minaya, as is almost always the case, is being told what to do by the Wilpons.
How uplifting for Mets fans!
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)