Jul 28, 2010, 4:59 PM EDT
UPDATE: Not so fast. I had missed this, but last week Jon Paul Morosi reported that Ted Lilly’s 10-team no-trade clause includes the Phillies. Whether he’s more adamant about not going to Philly than Roy Oswalt seems to be is an open question, but it’s not like this would be a slam dunk or anything.
4:59 P.M.: Ed Price from FanHouse has that one. He notes that it’s “not confirmed,” but that’s what makes it a rumor, right? Someone’s talking about it?
Regardless of how true it is, this seems to make so much more sense to me than the Oswalt-to-Philly rumors. Lilly comes with no big salary obligations and nowhere near the no-trade hurdles that Oswalt has (Lilly has limited no-trade protection; there have been no reports of which teams he’d reject that I can recall). As for performance, yes, there’s a falloff from Oswalt to Lilly. But not a tremendous one, and certainly not one that offsets the far easier-to-do deal that a Lilly trade would represent.
Ken Rosenthal reports that the Dodgers and Twins have inquired about Lilly. The Mets have been talked about before as well, but Rosenthal says they are “waiting on direction from above.” Which means that Omar Minaya, as is almost always the case, is being told what to do by the Wilpons.
How uplifting for Mets fans!
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 6
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 65
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 62
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)