Jul 28, 2010, 8:52 PM EST
As Mark Zuckerman of CSN Washington notes, Nationals phenom Stephen Strasburg is unlikely to make his scheduled start Sunday against the Phillies.
Starting pitchers usually require a bullpen session a few days before they take the mound and the Nats have shut their prized right-hander down indefinitely. Even if he’s cleared to throw Friday, the Nationals won’t want to rush him into a Sunday afternoon start.
Zuckerman asked manager Jim Riggleman if he would be surprised to see Strasburg take the mound against the Phils, and here was his response:
“I don’t want to say I’ll be surprised, because then if I pitch him
Sunday, it contradicts itself. But as you said, we’ve been cautious, and
we’ll continue to be cautious.”
Strasburg was scratched Monday after reporting soreness in his throwing shoulder and he was later revealed to have a bit of inflammation. He is already the face of the franchise in Washington and the Nats aren’t chasing a pennant this season. We would be shocked if he pitches before Monday of next week, when the Nationals kick off a four-game series in Arizona.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)