Jul 28, 2010, 2:01 PM EDT
They talked with Houston, but they obviously didn’t like what they were hearing: Ken Rosenthal reports that the Cardinals are no longer involved with discussions for Roy Oswalt.
The latest: Rosenthal says that the Phillies are able to meet what Houston is demanding in return for Oswalt, but that (a) the price still may be too high; and (b) there’s still no strong indication that Oswalt would agree to a trade to Philly. Yes, he said the other day that “location” doesn’t matter, but that’s only relevant if you think that his objections to Philly are based on them being on the east coast. It’s possible, is it not, that he just doesn’t want to go to the Phillies?
Even if that isn’t an issue, with each win the Phillies grow less desperate to make a move, so unless Ed Wade ratchets back his expectations on Oswalt, he may not find anyone interested in talking to him pretty soon.
- Cliff Lee exits start with apparent arm injury 0
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 125
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (127)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)