Jul 28, 2010, 9:40 AM EDT
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the Diamondbacks are toying with the idea of using Brandon Webb in the bullpen towards the end of this season. And it would be the end of this season, because he’s still not even pitching against live batters yet in a rehab stint that has lasted nearly as long as Bob Dylan’s most recent Tour.
If I’m the Diamondbacks, though, I don’t go out of my way or anything. The competitive portion of their season is already over and Webb is a free agent after this season. Any innings they give him will mean virtually nothing for the team. They’ll only serve as a showcase of Webb’s health and effectiveness (or lack thereof) to potential suitors this winter.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)