Jul 28, 2010, 9:40 AM EDT
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the Diamondbacks are toying with the idea of using Brandon Webb in the bullpen towards the end of this season. And it would be the end of this season, because he’s still not even pitching against live batters yet in a rehab stint that has lasted nearly as long as Bob Dylan’s most recent Tour.
If I’m the Diamondbacks, though, I don’t go out of my way or anything. The competitive portion of their season is already over and Webb is a free agent after this season. Any innings they give him will mean virtually nothing for the team. They’ll only serve as a showcase of Webb’s health and effectiveness (or lack thereof) to potential suitors this winter.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 38
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)