Jul 28, 2010, 9:40 AM EDT
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the Diamondbacks are toying with the idea of using Brandon Webb in the bullpen towards the end of this season. And it would be the end of this season, because he’s still not even pitching against live batters yet in a rehab stint that has lasted nearly as long as Bob Dylan’s most recent Tour.
If I’m the Diamondbacks, though, I don’t go out of my way or anything. The competitive portion of their season is already over and Webb is a free agent after this season. Any innings they give him will mean virtually nothing for the team. They’ll only serve as a showcase of Webb’s health and effectiveness (or lack thereof) to potential suitors this winter.
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 34
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)