Jul 28, 2010, 10:30 AM EDT
Scott Downs is not the biggest name around, but the Blue Jays’ setup man may be the best reliever available at the moment. And the Jays are apparently asking the moon for him: They told the Yankees it would take Joba Chamberlain and the Red Sox that it would take Casey Kelly or Jose Iglesias.
That’s kind of crazy, even to Yankees fans who are about ready to crucify Joba. Probably even to Yankees fans who don’t want to crucify him but don’t want him pitching in the eighth inning anymore either. I’m not convinced he’s hopeless — his strikeouts are high and his luck on balls in play has been awful — but even if you think so, why on Earth should the Yankees unload him now, when his perceived value is so low?
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)