Jul 28, 2010, 10:30 AM EDT
Scott Downs is not the biggest name around, but the Blue Jays’ setup man may be the best reliever available at the moment. And the Jays are apparently asking the moon for him: They told the Yankees it would take Joba Chamberlain and the Red Sox that it would take Casey Kelly or Jose Iglesias.
That’s kind of crazy, even to Yankees fans who are about ready to crucify Joba. Probably even to Yankees fans who don’t want to crucify him but don’t want him pitching in the eighth inning anymore either. I’m not convinced he’s hopeless — his strikeouts are high and his luck on balls in play has been awful — but even if you think so, why on Earth should the Yankees unload him now, when his perceived value is so low?
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)