Jul 28, 2010, 10:30 AM EDT
Scott Downs is not the biggest name around, but the Blue Jays’ setup man may be the best reliever available at the moment. And the Jays are apparently asking the moon for him: They told the Yankees it would take Joba Chamberlain and the Red Sox that it would take Casey Kelly or Jose Iglesias.
That’s kind of crazy, even to Yankees fans who are about ready to crucify Joba. Probably even to Yankees fans who don’t want to crucify him but don’t want him pitching in the eighth inning anymore either. I’m not convinced he’s hopeless — his strikeouts are high and his luck on balls in play has been awful — but even if you think so, why on Earth should the Yankees unload him now, when his perceived value is so low?
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)