Jul 28, 2010, 2:27 PM EDT
Shane Victorino’s oblique injury has landed him on the disabled list and to take his slot on the roster is one Domonic Brown: super prospect.
Brown has tore his way through the minor leagues this year, hitting .318/.391/.602 in 271 plate appearances at AA and .346/.390/.561 in 118 plate appearances at AAA. He’s 22. He’s ready.
What a turn of events for the Phillies in the past week. A six game winning streak in in session, Ryan Howard has found his groove, the Braves have faltered, they probably stand the best chance to get Roy Oswalt and now The Future is being called up.
And it completes the set I’ve long wanted to see completed: the five rookies who are going to turn the NL East into the best division in baseball over the next 5-10 years: Strasburg, Heyward, Stanton, Brown and Davis.
- Nationals place Stephen Strasburg on the 15-day disabled list with neck tightness 2
- Jerry Dior, designer of MLB’s iconic logo, has passed away 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 114
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 16
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 77
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (114)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (85)
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit (77)