Jul 28, 2010, 8:50 AM EDT
Bats, they are sick. Bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him bonfire, rum. He will come:
[Mark]Kotsay, who is batting .221 and has hit into
several line-drive outs, had two of his bats burned in a small fire pit
in an effort to change his fortunes.
“That was (Mark) Teahen’s deal,” Kotsay said after Tuesday night’s game. “I walked out and saw what was
going on and obviously I wanted to find out what was going on, but I had
nothing to do with it.”
Kotsay, a 13-year veteran, never recalled a bat burning to change a player’s luck.
“There are quirky things like changing your uniform or your undershirt
or your shoes, but never burning bats,” said Kotsay, adding he has
changed his routines in the past.
Every time I write about how HGH doesn’t help anyone play baseball, people come back with “if it doesn’t work then why do ballplayers do it?!” The answer is evident: ballplayers will do absolutely anything if they think it will help them. Sometimes that leads to bad choices. Most of the time, though, it leads to fun stuff like this. I wouldn’t want it any other way.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 32
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 123
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 73
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (123)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)