Jul 28, 2010, 8:50 AM EDT
Bats, they are sick. Bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him bonfire, rum. He will come:
[Mark]Kotsay, who is batting .221 and has hit into
several line-drive outs, had two of his bats burned in a small fire pit
in an effort to change his fortunes.
“That was (Mark) Teahen’s deal,” Kotsay said after Tuesday night’s game. “I walked out and saw what was
going on and obviously I wanted to find out what was going on, but I had
nothing to do with it.”
Kotsay, a 13-year veteran, never recalled a bat burning to change a player’s luck.
“There are quirky things like changing your uniform or your undershirt
or your shoes, but never burning bats,” said Kotsay, adding he has
changed his routines in the past.
Every time I write about how HGH doesn’t help anyone play baseball, people come back with “if it doesn’t work then why do ballplayers do it?!” The answer is evident: ballplayers will do absolutely anything if they think it will help them. Sometimes that leads to bad choices. Most of the time, though, it leads to fun stuff like this. I wouldn’t want it any other way.
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 86
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 28
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)