Jul 28, 2010, 8:50 AM EDT
Bats, they are sick. Bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him bonfire, rum. He will come:
[Mark]Kotsay, who is batting .221 and has hit into
several line-drive outs, had two of his bats burned in a small fire pit
in an effort to change his fortunes.
“That was (Mark) Teahen’s deal,” Kotsay said after Tuesday night’s game. “I walked out and saw what was
going on and obviously I wanted to find out what was going on, but I had
nothing to do with it.”
Kotsay, a 13-year veteran, never recalled a bat burning to change a player’s luck.
“There are quirky things like changing your uniform or your undershirt
or your shoes, but never burning bats,” said Kotsay, adding he has
changed his routines in the past.
Every time I write about how HGH doesn’t help anyone play baseball, people come back with “if it doesn’t work then why do ballplayers do it?!” The answer is evident: ballplayers will do absolutely anything if they think it will help them. Sometimes that leads to bad choices. Most of the time, though, it leads to fun stuff like this. I wouldn’t want it any other way.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)