The White Sox have a bat bonfire

Jul 28, 2010, 8:50 AM EDT

Bats, they are sick. Bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him bonfire, rum. He will come:

[Mark]Kotsay, who is batting .221 and has hit into
several line-drive outs, had two of his bats burned in a small fire pit
in an effort to change his fortunes.

“That was (Mark) Teahen’s deal,” Kotsay said after Tuesday night’s game. “I walked out and saw what was
going on and obviously I wanted to find out what was going on, but I had
nothing to do with it.”

Kotsay, a 13-year veteran, never recalled a bat burning to change a player’s luck.

“There are quirky things like changing your uniform or your undershirt
or your shoes, but never burning bats,” said Kotsay, adding he has
changed his routines in the past.

Every time I write about how HGH doesn’t help anyone play baseball, people come back with “if it doesn’t work then why do ballplayers do it?!”  The answer is evident: ballplayers will do absolutely anything if they think it will help them. Sometimes that leads to bad choices. Most of the time, though, it leads to fun stuff like this. I wouldn’t want it any other way.

1. SDelMonte - Jul 28, 2010 at 9:23 AM

This is why aluminum bats have no place in baseball. They don’t make for a good fire.

2. DGL - Jul 28, 2010 at 9:28 AM

They need a live rooster to take the curse off.

3. Fernando - Jul 28, 2010 at 10:14 AM

No, a bucket of chicken will work just fine. At least that’s what Serrano said.

4. APBA Guy - Jul 28, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Dennis Haysbert played baseball and football down the street at San Mateo High. Rumor has it he is endorsing the latest ballot initiative by the San Mateo County Council to allow households to raise hens in the unincorporated regions of San Mateo county. Only then will Jobu come.

5. JBerardi - Jul 28, 2010 at 4:03 PM

“Every time I write about how HGH doesn’t help anyone play baseball, people come back with “if it doesn’t work then why do ballplayers do it?!” The answer is evident: ballplayers will do absolutely anything if they think it will help them. Sometimes that leads to bad choices. Most of the time, though, it leads to fun stuff like this. I wouldn’t want it any other way.”

C’mon Craig. Those mystical magnetic necklaces totally work.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet