Jul 28, 2010, 6:47 PM EST
In need of an infielder with Brandon Inge and Carlos Guillen on the disabled list, the Tigers on Wednesday acquired Jhonny Peralta from the Indians for LHP Giovanny Soto and cash.
Peralta had been on the market for months, as the Indians decided long ago that they weren’t going to exercise his $7 million option for 2011. He was hitting .246/.308/.389 in 334 at-bats for the Indians. He’ll likely take over as the Tigers’ everyday third baseman until Inge returns and then move into a utility role.
Soto, 19, was 6-6 with a 2.91 ERA, 75 H and 76/25 K/BB in 82 2/3 innings for low Single-A West Michigan. A 21st-round pick last year, he throws in the high-80s now, but could add some velocity as he matures. He’ll likely need to in order to make it as a starting pitcher in the majors.
With third base now open, the Indians could resume playing Jason Donald and Jayson Nix regularly, just as they were doing while Asdrubal Cabrera was out. They’ve also recalled Luis Valbuena. However, they might want to take a chance on another one of the available third baseman. Both Brandon Wood and Andy LaRoche still have some promise, yet they could be available for next to nothing. The Indians have top prospect Lonnie Chisenhall on the way, but he’s probably not going to be up until mid-2011 at the earlier.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 34
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 24
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (88)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)