Jul 28, 2010, 6:47 PM EDT
In need of an infielder with Brandon Inge and Carlos Guillen on the disabled list, the Tigers on Wednesday acquired Jhonny Peralta from the Indians for LHP Giovanny Soto and cash.
Peralta had been on the market for months, as the Indians decided long ago that they weren’t going to exercise his $7 million option for 2011. He was hitting .246/.308/.389 in 334 at-bats for the Indians. He’ll likely take over as the Tigers’ everyday third baseman until Inge returns and then move into a utility role.
Soto, 19, was 6-6 with a 2.91 ERA, 75 H and 76/25 K/BB in 82 2/3 innings for low Single-A West Michigan. A 21st-round pick last year, he throws in the high-80s now, but could add some velocity as he matures. He’ll likely need to in order to make it as a starting pitcher in the majors.
With third base now open, the Indians could resume playing Jason Donald and Jayson Nix regularly, just as they were doing while Asdrubal Cabrera was out. They’ve also recalled Luis Valbuena. However, they might want to take a chance on another one of the available third baseman. Both Brandon Wood and Andy LaRoche still have some promise, yet they could be available for next to nothing. The Indians have top prospect Lonnie Chisenhall on the way, but he’s probably not going to be up until mid-2011 at the earlier.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 80
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)