Jul 28, 2010, 6:47 PM EDT
In need of an infielder with Brandon Inge and Carlos Guillen on the disabled list, the Tigers on Wednesday acquired Jhonny Peralta from the Indians for LHP Giovanny Soto and cash.
Peralta had been on the market for months, as the Indians decided long ago that they weren’t going to exercise his $7 million option for 2011. He was hitting .246/.308/.389 in 334 at-bats for the Indians. He’ll likely take over as the Tigers’ everyday third baseman until Inge returns and then move into a utility role.
Soto, 19, was 6-6 with a 2.91 ERA, 75 H and 76/25 K/BB in 82 2/3 innings for low Single-A West Michigan. A 21st-round pick last year, he throws in the high-80s now, but could add some velocity as he matures. He’ll likely need to in order to make it as a starting pitcher in the majors.
With third base now open, the Indians could resume playing Jason Donald and Jayson Nix regularly, just as they were doing while Asdrubal Cabrera was out. They’ve also recalled Luis Valbuena. However, they might want to take a chance on another one of the available third baseman. Both Brandon Wood and Andy LaRoche still have some promise, yet they could be available for next to nothing. The Indians have top prospect Lonnie Chisenhall on the way, but he’s probably not going to be up until mid-2011 at the earlier.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 22
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 39
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)