Jul 28, 2010, 6:47 PM EDT
In need of an infielder with Brandon Inge and Carlos Guillen on the disabled list, the Tigers on Wednesday acquired Jhonny Peralta from the Indians for LHP Giovanny Soto and cash.
Peralta had been on the market for months, as the Indians decided long ago that they weren’t going to exercise his $7 million option for 2011. He was hitting .246/.308/.389 in 334 at-bats for the Indians. He’ll likely take over as the Tigers’ everyday third baseman until Inge returns and then move into a utility role.
Soto, 19, was 6-6 with a 2.91 ERA, 75 H and 76/25 K/BB in 82 2/3 innings for low Single-A West Michigan. A 21st-round pick last year, he throws in the high-80s now, but could add some velocity as he matures. He’ll likely need to in order to make it as a starting pitcher in the majors.
With third base now open, the Indians could resume playing Jason Donald and Jayson Nix regularly, just as they were doing while Asdrubal Cabrera was out. They’ve also recalled Luis Valbuena. However, they might want to take a chance on another one of the available third baseman. Both Brandon Wood and Andy LaRoche still have some promise, yet they could be available for next to nothing. The Indians have top prospect Lonnie Chisenhall on the way, but he’s probably not going to be up until mid-2011 at the earlier.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 65
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 75
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 69
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 100
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (101)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (100)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)