Jul 29, 2010, 11:00 AM EST
No wonder he can’t hit his 600th home run! He’s busy litigating!
Alex Rodriguez on Wednesday filed an objection over how the Rangers’
bankruptcy auction might be held, fearing that bidders won’t pledge to
make good on deferred payments to him and several other former team
On deadline for such filings before the Aug. 4 auction,
an attorney for A-Rod noted that the Yankees third baseman is owed
$24.89 million and complained that Hicks Sports Group, the team’s
parent, had failed to fund a $45 million escrow account for such
deferred compensation, as required by Major League Baseball.
Rodriguez is not alone here: lots of unsecured creditors filed objections because the Greenberg/Ryan deal already provides for them being paid and the assurances of that from the other bidders are less concrete.
There’s probably no danger of anyone involved screwing A-Rod out of his deferred dough, but if you don’t object now, you can’t object later if things go sideways.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)