Jul 29, 2010, 2:45 PM EST
Akinori Iwamura was playing his way back to the majors after being designated for assignment and passed through waivers unclaimed last month, hitting .299 with a .450 on-base percentage in 27 games at Triple-A.
Unfortunately now he’s sidelined indefinitely after being hospitalized following a collision on the bases Wednesday. Iwamura has been diagnosed with a concussion after a CT scan and various other tests came back negative, but as the Twins are currently learning with Justin Morneau that can be a longer-term injury than most people assume.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 10
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 55
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 139
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)