Jul 29, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
Akinori Iwamura was playing his way back to the majors after being designated for assignment and passed through waivers unclaimed last month, hitting .299 with a .450 on-base percentage in 27 games at Triple-A.
Unfortunately now he’s sidelined indefinitely after being hospitalized following a collision on the bases Wednesday. Iwamura has been diagnosed with a concussion after a CT scan and various other tests came back negative, but as the Twins are currently learning with Justin Morneau that can be a longer-term injury than most people assume.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)