Jul 29, 2010, 5:20 PM EDT
Anthony Gose was an Astros property for barely longer than it takes him to run from first to third. Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos confirmed Thursday that he acquired the speedy center fielder from the Astros for Brett Wallace.
It’s the third time Wallace has been sort of involved in a major trade. He was sent from St. Louis to Oakland in the Matt Holliday deal last summer. Over the winter, the A’s traded him to the Blue Jays for Michael Taylor, who had just been picked up from the Phillies in the Roy Halladay trade hours earlier. Now he’s getting traded for a piece in the Roy Oswalt deal.
In my opinion, getting Wallace for Gose makes the deal look quite a bit better for Houston. Gose has the potential to become another Michael Bourn, but he’s a long way off and the Astros just happen to have the original.
Wallace, on the other hand, is nearly major league ready and he could step right in at first base if Lance Berkman isn’t brough back next year. The 23-year-old has been a disappointment while hitting .301/.359/.509 with 18 homers in 385 at-bats for Las Vegas this year. That’s partly because he’s playing in a terrific environment for offense and partly because he has a poor 83/27 K/BB ratio in 385 at-bats.
However, Wallace has displayed more power with age and he’s begun to settle in at first after making the long-anticipated move from the hot corner last year. He no longer appears to have All-Star-type upside, but he should prove to be a capable regular in time.
It’s a surprising move for the Jays, given that they will have first base open next year with Lyle Overbay set to become a free agent. They might be planning to install Adam Lind there, though. Gose shouldn’t be a candidate to start until 2013 or 2014 at the earliest.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)