Huston Street has "been teased 50,000 times" for leaving via ambulance with bruised "guy region"

Jul 29, 2010, 3:17 PM EDT

Huston Street was strapped down and taken off the field in an ambulance after being hit in the “pelvic region” by a line drive during pregame batting practice Tuesday, but he’s back with the Rockies and available out of the bullpen tonight following a couple days of rest for an “abdominal contusion.”
Street told Troy Renck of the Denver Post that he’s embarrassed about the whole thing and has “been teased about 50,000 times today” for reportedly fainting several times before leaving via ambulance with what ultimately proved to be just a bruise.

Where it hit, they had to make sure I can still have kids. They did an ultrasound on my “guy region,” a CT scan to make sure there weren’t any broken bones or anything. The pain I was having was my femoral nerve just turned on for whatever reason.

Coincidentally enough, Street’s wife is scheduled to give birth to the couple’s first child within the next week, so there’s luckily a control group for those “make sure I can still have kids” and “guy region” tests.
Renck reports that Street “has a condition in which he tends to get light headed when he experiences sharp pain.” To which I’d ask, a) don’t most people have that? and b) how many times has he experienced “sharp pain” to determine that it’s a “condition”? Then again, I tend to ask dumb stuff.

1. geoknows - Jul 29, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Most people? Never thought about it because it’s never happened to me. Depends on the pain, I suppose, and I’ve certainly had some in my life. Do you get so light-headed that you faint three times when you have sharp pain, Aaron?

2. BC - Jul 29, 2010 at 3:29 PM

I’m not a doctor, but….. why’d they strap him down? If you faint, you don’t move much.

3. BC - Jul 29, 2010 at 3:47 PM

I faint whenever I get a needle of any sort – a shot, a blood test, an IV. Boom. Out like a light.
    But I’d rather get a needle than get drilled in the moneymakers anyday.

4. Joe - Jul 29, 2010 at 3:49 PM

It’s probably an overactive Vagus nerve. Everybody has a Vagus nerve, which slows your heart and drops your blood pressure when you are in pain or under stress, and the drop in blood pressure can cause one to faint. The Vagus nerve kicks in more quickly for some people, which I guess you could call a “condition.” It doesn’t have to be extreme pain, either. This is why people pass out from being stuck with a needle. Voice of experience here.

5. BC - Jul 29, 2010 at 4:14 PM

How do I turn my Vegas nerve off? Can I get it removed?

6. Omega - Jul 29, 2010 at 4:41 PM

I fainted 3 times just hearing about this story.
    I have been hit in the “guy region” plenty of times, but never with a major league line drive.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5460)