Jul 29, 2010, 12:18 PM EST
Jeff Wilson of the Dallas Morning News reports that Rangers second baseman Ian Kinsler will be placed on the disabled list today “with an injury to his left leg that isn’t considered serious but needs to be rested and treated for the stretch run.”
Kinsler missed nearly all of April with an ankle injury, but played in 76 of the Rangers’ next 78 games before sitting out last night’s loss to the A’s.
According to Wilson, he “expressed a desire to continue playing with the injury” but the Rangers thought better of it, choosing to play it safe with a 7.5-game lead in the AL West.
Andres Blanco figures to be the primarily fill-in for Kinsler at second base and the Rangers seem unlikely to pursue a different replacement before Saturday’s trade deadline.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 316
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (315)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)