Jul 29, 2010, 12:18 PM EDT
Jeff Wilson of the Dallas Morning News reports that Rangers second baseman Ian Kinsler will be placed on the disabled list today “with an injury to his left leg that isn’t considered serious but needs to be rested and treated for the stretch run.”
Kinsler missed nearly all of April with an ankle injury, but played in 76 of the Rangers’ next 78 games before sitting out last night’s loss to the A’s.
According to Wilson, he “expressed a desire to continue playing with the injury” but the Rangers thought better of it, choosing to play it safe with a 7.5-game lead in the AL West.
Andres Blanco figures to be the primarily fill-in for Kinsler at second base and the Rangers seem unlikely to pursue a different replacement before Saturday’s trade deadline.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 9
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 22
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 28
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)