Jul 29, 2010, 12:18 PM EDT
Jeff Wilson of the Dallas Morning News reports that Rangers second baseman Ian Kinsler will be placed on the disabled list today “with an injury to his left leg that isn’t considered serious but needs to be rested and treated for the stretch run.”
Kinsler missed nearly all of April with an ankle injury, but played in 76 of the Rangers’ next 78 games before sitting out last night’s loss to the A’s.
According to Wilson, he “expressed a desire to continue playing with the injury” but the Rangers thought better of it, choosing to play it safe with a 7.5-game lead in the AL West.
Andres Blanco figures to be the primarily fill-in for Kinsler at second base and the Rangers seem unlikely to pursue a different replacement before Saturday’s trade deadline.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)