Miguel Batista's new friend Miss Iowa will throw out the first pitch at Nationals Park tomorrow night
Jul 29, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
Apparently the flowers Miguel Batista sent to Miss Iowa did their job, because we just received a press release announcing that Katherine Connors is scheduled to throw out the first pitch at Nationals Park tomorrow night.
Batista filled in for the injured Stephen Strasburg at the last minute Tuesday and afterward commented that the 40,000 fans in attendance probably felt like they showed up to see Miss Universe only to get Miss Iowa instead.
Connors is the reigning Miss Iowa and issued a statement in response, saying: “I know I can throw a pitch or two! The question is, can Miguel Batista walk the runway in a swimsuit?”
And so now the Nationals are taking her up on that offer (presumably without the Batista-walking-the-runway-in-bikini part).
In terms of the best performance throwing out the first pitch by an incredibly attractive woman, it’ll be pretty hard for Connors to top Marisa Miller throwing heat at Wrigley Field last season. Then again, Batista tossing five shutout innings as Strasburg’s replacement shows that anything can happen.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 5
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 31
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 62
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)