Miguel Batista's new friend Miss Iowa will throw out the first pitch at Nationals Park tomorrow night
Jul 29, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
Apparently the flowers Miguel Batista sent to Miss Iowa did their job, because we just received a press release announcing that Katherine Connors is scheduled to throw out the first pitch at Nationals Park tomorrow night.
Batista filled in for the injured Stephen Strasburg at the last minute Tuesday and afterward commented that the 40,000 fans in attendance probably felt like they showed up to see Miss Universe only to get Miss Iowa instead.
Connors is the reigning Miss Iowa and issued a statement in response, saying: “I know I can throw a pitch or two! The question is, can Miguel Batista walk the runway in a swimsuit?”
And so now the Nationals are taking her up on that offer (presumably without the Batista-walking-the-runway-in-bikini part).
In terms of the best performance throwing out the first pitch by an incredibly attractive woman, it’ll be pretty hard for Connors to top Marisa Miller throwing heat at Wrigley Field last season. Then again, Batista tossing five shutout innings as Strasburg’s replacement shows that anything can happen.
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 5
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 53
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 75
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 33
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (178)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)