Jul 29, 2010, 5:38 PM EST
Update: The trade is done, pending the commish’s office approving the trade. The Orioles are presumably picking up most of what’s left on his one-year, $6 million contract, so the Padres should still have the flexibility to make another deal before the deadline.
Update 2: The North County Times reports that the Orioles will get 24-year-old right-hander Wynn Pelzer in return. Recently shifted to the pen, he’s 6-9 with a 4.20 ERA, 102 H and 83/56 K/BB in 94 1/3 IP for Double-A San Antonio this year. With a big fastball-slider combo, he has the potential to become a fine late-inning reliever. Control is obviously a major issue, though.
Miguel Tejada was scratched from Baltimore’s lineup prior to Thursday’s game, and while the Orioles are claiming it’s routine day off, they’ve already summoned Josh Bell up from Triple-A Norfolk, suggesting that they wanted a more permanent replacement on hand.
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun believes Tejada has been dealt to the Padres, pending approval from the commissioner’s office.
The Padres would likely move Tejada back to his old position and use him over struggling sophomore Everth Cabrera.
Here’s what I wrote about the Tejada possibility in the trade deadline preview earlier this week:
Tejada hasn’t made an appearance at shortstop all year, but if he’s traded, it could well be to a team that would slide him back to his old position. The Padres are thought to be interested, and he actually makes a lot of sense for the NL West leaders. He’s not much of a home run guy anymore, and Petco’s big alleys should be rather kind to his approach at the plate. Also, while he lacks range at shortstop these days, the singles that get by him would turn into fewer runs at Petco than they would anywhere else. The Tigers are another team that could use Tejada. An August deal is a possibility here.
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 0
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 23
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 33
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 86
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)