Jul 29, 2010, 5:38 PM EDT
Update: The trade is done, pending the commish’s office approving the trade. The Orioles are presumably picking up most of what’s left on his one-year, $6 million contract, so the Padres should still have the flexibility to make another deal before the deadline.
Update 2: The North County Times reports that the Orioles will get 24-year-old right-hander Wynn Pelzer in return. Recently shifted to the pen, he’s 6-9 with a 4.20 ERA, 102 H and 83/56 K/BB in 94 1/3 IP for Double-A San Antonio this year. With a big fastball-slider combo, he has the potential to become a fine late-inning reliever. Control is obviously a major issue, though.
Miguel Tejada was scratched from Baltimore’s lineup prior to Thursday’s game, and while the Orioles are claiming it’s routine day off, they’ve already summoned Josh Bell up from Triple-A Norfolk, suggesting that they wanted a more permanent replacement on hand.
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun believes Tejada has been dealt to the Padres, pending approval from the commissioner’s office.
The Padres would likely move Tejada back to his old position and use him over struggling sophomore Everth Cabrera.
Here’s what I wrote about the Tejada possibility in the trade deadline preview earlier this week:
Tejada hasn’t made an appearance at shortstop all year, but if he’s traded, it could well be to a team that would slide him back to his old position. The Padres are thought to be interested, and he actually makes a lot of sense for the NL West leaders. He’s not much of a home run guy anymore, and Petco’s big alleys should be rather kind to his approach at the plate. Also, while he lacks range at shortstop these days, the singles that get by him would turn into fewer runs at Petco than they would anywhere else. The Tigers are another team that could use Tejada. An August deal is a possibility here.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)