Miss Iowa didn't like being compared to Miguel Batista

Jul 29, 2010, 11:17 AM EDT

Predictably, after Miguel Batista joked that his subbing for an injured Stephen Strasburg was like fans showing up to see Miss Universe only to get Miss Iowa instead, the actual Miss Iowa has responded.
Her name is Katherine Connors, she looks just a tad better in a two-piece than Batista, and she issued the following statement:

I know I can throw a pitch or two! The question is, can Miguel Batista walk the runway in a swimsuit?

Batista naturally backtracked from his comments a bit, framing them more as a compliment than an insult, and said Connors is “gorgeous.” He also sent her some flowers to smooth things over.
And just for the record: I’m in favor of more baseball players getting into public feuds with beauty pageant contestants, if only for the excuse to post pictures of women who look like Connors instead of dudes who look like Batista.

1. Jonny5 - Jul 29, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Hmm, I wonder what Miss NJ looks like????? Hopefully, not like the cast of “Jersey shore”. Which btw reminds me. Sell everything and buy a house in the middle of nowhere, put the rest of the money in gold and dig in people. I saw earlier this week that the cast of the “Jersey shore” rang the bell to signal the end of trading on wall street. The end is near, the end is here. I had to pinch myself, it really happened.

2. Jonny5 - Jul 29, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Ahhh, i should have known.. Jersey girls…. Our very own Amy Polumbo.. http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2007/07/13/alg_polumbo_gallerylink.jpg

3. Mike28 - Jul 29, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Nice. Both acted like adults and took it for what it was…a goof up…and a funny one at that. And who knew there are still folks out there with a sense of humor and good sense of perspective. Thanks to both!!

4. Mike28 - Jul 29, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Nice. Both acting like adults and both demonstrating a good sense of humor without blowing a simple goof up out of proportion. Who knew that could still happen?!? Thanks to both.

5. walk - Jul 29, 2010 at 11:50 AM

I am pretty sure miggy can walk the runway in a two piece. I am equally sure i dont want to see that or miss iowa pitch. Great comeback by her though.

6. Old Gator - Jul 29, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Nice! A case of split personality wherein both selves can agree so harmoniously. Thanks to both. You’ve given hope to sufferers of dementia praecox throughout the HBT universe.

7. Old Gator - Jul 29, 2010 at 12:04 PM

How long did it take you to airbrush out the mosquito bites?

8. Old Gator - Jul 29, 2010 at 12:14 PM

I would like to see her pitch. I’d want to be the second base umpire.

9. kyle s - Jul 29, 2010 at 12:28 PM

props to batista for taking the high road. me, i would have asked her how many books she’s written.

10. funi - Jul 29, 2010 at 12:46 PM

I already see her throwing out first pitch and Batista catching it then she bitch slaps him!

11. imabigdog - Jul 29, 2010 at 12:54 PM

If this results in a “HOOK UP” betweem Conners and Batista I’m going to insult every (female) pagent queen I can find.

12. doctorfunke - Jul 29, 2010 at 1:44 PM

This is the reason I love this site. One post you have a drag down, no holds barred political throwdown, and the next, you get to see OG’s pervy side and a great one liner from imabigdog. In the immortal words of Mr. Burgundy (and Jonny5), stay classy, HBT.

13. Old Gator - Jul 29, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Oh come on, Doc. Call me a dirty old man if you like. I’m used to that. But if you think watching Miss Iowa bend over in full windup in a tight jersey is “perv,” I wouldn’t want to know what turns you on. I doubt that it could even be simulated on Skinimax or HBO After Dark. At least I know that my G-spots are programmed by the usual run of chromosomes.

14. 2cents - Jul 29, 2010 at 2:22 PM

There’s two things I like about her. Ok…three. She’s got a sense of humor.

15. doctorfunke - Jul 29, 2010 at 2:55 PM

I was just stating the vast difference in tone between the previous post and this one. And I never said that being a pervy old man was a bad thing. I hope to be one someday myself. And if you want some HBO/Cinemax skin, watch the second season of Dexter.

Don't count out the Yankees just yet
  1. R. Castillo (4762)