Jul 29, 2010, 11:17 AM EDT
Predictably, after Miguel Batista joked that his subbing for an injured Stephen Strasburg was like fans showing up to see Miss Universe only to get Miss Iowa instead, the actual Miss Iowa has responded.
Her name is Katherine Connors, she looks just a tad better in a two-piece than Batista, and she issued the following statement:
I know I can throw a pitch or two! The question is, can Miguel Batista walk the runway in a swimsuit?
Batista naturally backtracked from his comments a bit, framing them more as a compliment than an insult, and said Connors is “gorgeous.” He also sent her some flowers to smooth things over.
And just for the record: I’m in favor of more baseball players getting into public feuds with beauty pageant contestants, if only for the excuse to post pictures of women who look like Connors instead of dudes who look like Batista.
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)