Jul 29, 2010, 11:58 AM EST
Ahhhh. It hadn’t felt like deadline time until just this very moment.
Within the past few minutes two writers with Philly sources — Jayson Stark and Todd Zolecki — are saying that Phillies 1B prospect Jonathan Singleton is in the Oswalt deal. Another — Ken Rosenthal, who may not be as well-sourced in Philly but is paid to know this stuff — says Singleton is not involved. There are also direct disputes about the money involved, ranging from $8 million to $12 million.
This suggests one of two things: either the deal is not as “done” as people think it is and it’s still a fluid process or else it means that the reporters are passing along info from people who aren’t involved and don’t know anything themselves.
I live for this chaos, of course, so I find that all great fun. Those of you who don’t, however, may now set phasers to “ignore it until something definite is actually announced.”
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 77
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 45
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 26
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)