Jul 29, 2010, 1:49 PM EDT
For the past few weeks Baltimore has been said to be on the verge of hiring Buck Showalter as manager and according to Tim Kurkjian of ESPN.com they’re finally ready to make things official.
Kurkjian reports that Showalter’s first game at the helm will be next Tuesday against the Angels, which is the first game of a seven-game homestand at Camden Yards.
Juan Samuel has served as interim manager since the Orioles fired Dave Trembley on June 4, going just 16-31 (.340) after Trembley went 187-283 (.398) in four seasons on the job. Samuel interviewed for the full-time job along with Showalter, Bobby Valentine, Rick Dempsey, and Eric Wedge.
Showalter is 54 years old and hasn’t managed since being fired by Texas in 2006, but is a two-time Manager of the Year and has a .514 winning percentage in 11 seasons with the Yankees, Diamondbacks, and Rangers. Interestingly, New York and Arizona both won the World Series the year after letting him go. Baltimore hasn’t had a winning season since 1997, going through seven different managers during that time.
UPDATE: Showalter’s contract reportedly runs through 2013.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 30
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 77
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 85
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)